Tri Colour SPS bleached is there any hope?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Jason McKenzie, Sep 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I think it all happened when I allowed the tank to go to 86 through out the hot spell here in BC. My beloved Tri has lost all it's colour and brown algae has now grown on most of the tips. As I performed the removal ceremony I noticed there was some pink down by the base. Now the arc was never pink so I'm not sure if this is life or not. there are zero polyps and zero colour on the tips.

Here is a pic
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

4. Jason McKenzie

Well I'm keeping it in the tank. I have yet to see any tissue sluff of and with closer examination there is a lot of colour close to the base.

I was told by a local Reefer that he had a wild ACRO bleach out for 4 months and then recover 110%.

J

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

No sloughing is a good sign Jason. Hang in there and keep us posted. 86 degrees, yikes!

6. Jason McKenzie

Sloughing so that's how you spell it. Even spell check couldn't come up with that one.

Thanks C mean a lot coming from you.

anyone else with input???

7. Craig Manoukian

Where's Gresham when you need him, eh?

8. Click Here!

9. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

If the polyps still open i would make sure to target feed with DT'S phyoto and some Cyclopeeze. It needs nutrition from somewhere and cannot get it through photosynthesis right now.

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hi Jason I know this is no help but I just want you to know that you are not alone, :(I had the same thing happen to my tank I wasn't home and we had a hot spell here and I didn't have my air conditioning on, My tank temp went up to 90 :eek: and I lost my colt coral :'( ......................... John

11. Craig Manoukian

Thanks Darin,

You came up with the information needed. Not ever having SPS I just couldn't put my fingr on it!

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

J, what a bummer! I'm sorry to hear that. It's hot here too, just threw the AC in the window after my tank hit 84-85 yesterday. I can't here myself think, but my tank is 77 degrees now.

This is an interesting article, after reading it, I would suggest putting it in high water flow and hope for the best. Low flow and high temps caused bleaching in all their tests, but high flow and high temps did not. Make you wonder. If you see any life anywhere, I'd be tempted to frag it.

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Coral;num=1094267574;start=0#5 date=09/04/04 at 09:31:18]Where's Gresham when you need him, eh?[/quote]

My guess is Burning Man.  ::)
    I sent him an email with a link to this all the same.