Tri-color Acropora ?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefnJeff, May 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I don't know a lot about this Coral, I know sometimes white tip usually means new Coral growth, but I am wondering the base of my guy on the incrusting part on the plug I had these bumps starting to show up, they do have white ends with Polyps sticking out, does this mean these are going to be new branches or maybe new Corals?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is a very good possibility. Keep your params steady and you should be enjoying new branches soon.

4. dunc101

dunc101 Flamingo Tongue

Agreed! I'd be excited with what you see =D.

5. reefnJeff

That's really going to look nice if those turn out to be branches, if they turn out to be new Coral growth, will it be OK to keep whatever grows all together like that?

6. reefnJeff

I am pretty excited, just 2 weeks ago I thought I was going to kill my only 2 SPS Corals, for almost 2 months i didn't even see a polyp on that tri-color and my red candy cap was starting to bleach out, not only did they recover, but you see whats going on with that tri-color, but my red candy cap is starting to regrow over where it had bleached out previously, so that makes me happy, now maybe I can think about a new sps or 2 :D

7. consumedcorals

consumedcorals Astrea Snail

Any of my sps the new growth kinda starts the same once it starts it really goes, mine like to ride the plugs then crust on the rock then finally start to branch out!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. zeo

zeo Bristle Worm

+1 2in10 ....Keep your params steady and you should be enjoying new branches soon.
    Good Luck

10. reefnJeff

The same Coral about 2 weeks later, the growth is crazy, there are stubs now all over the base and you can see how much it has grown.

Attached Files:

11. reefnJeff

The color does not show well in this pic, but those polyps are the prettiest teal green, just awesome, with all those branches growing on the base, it that going to be OK?

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The frag looks healthy with good PE.

Google images of "Tri-color Valida". Looks like a close match to me.