tree coral sick?

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by mallasee, Jan 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

Yesterday I noticed that on one of the back limbs of my tree coral that the polyps were retracted and some yellowish-green stuff was slowly oozoing out. The limb is kinda gray were the "injury" is. I have had the coral for six months and it has gotten quite large. Sometimes causing the back limbs to rub against the rocks. I have attached a few photos of the coral and its injury. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? And what is the coral called, Kenya Tree Coral, Colt Coral? Thank You

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ok...well from what i think...i am going to assume it is the colt coral slime disease...and from expirenence i would say to cut the infected limb off now! if you wait the whole coral can get it...i waited for 1 day and half of my babe was gone...the coral will be fine if u cut it off...before you do so, try to siphon as much of the goo as you can...then take a blade and slice it off and throw it away...i dont care if people say to try and save it...i dont thinks its worth the whole coral to save one branch...

4. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

I was planning on doing a 40 gal water change. Should I remove the limb before or after my water change? And do I need to do anything where i cut the limb from?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

a water change really wond do anything...you need to suck off all the goop and cut the limb off where it is not infected...like lets say on a human if below the elbow ur frost bitten u cut above the elbow lol...after that do a water change but...keep a watch out for the rest of the coral

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You need to remove the bad piece of colt coral, otherwise it will spread and take the whole coral with it! Corals are very resilient, and it will regrow its limb again, just make sure you get the whole piece that is diseased. You can do it with Acros, leathers etc. Try not to have the ooze spread in your tank and possibly land on other corals. Colt and Kenyan Corals are like weeds and they will grow and spread pretty rapidly with the right amount of light and water movement-also make sure you are supplementing iodine.