Treating ICH

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by WestKYReef, Mar 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WestKYReef

WestKYReef Plankton

My blue hippo tang has what appears to be ich. He has tiny white spots on his fins and scales. The fish is still very active and is eating well. My tank is a 220 gallon reef and my water levels check out fine. I have 20 fish total and I do not see signs of ich on any of the others. I have read many post on here associated with this disease. Some say quarantine and some say not. I would prefer not to cause the fish the added stress of being caught and put in a quarantine tank but I do not want to risk losing my fish. I usually feed garlic soaked food to my fish every few days. The research that I have done shows this to be an effective preventative measure but not a cure. Has anyone had any success with the product called “No-Ich Marine” by Fish Vet? My tank is about a year old so I am still new to the hobby. Any advice on how to treat this fish and my tank would be appreciated. I have 20 fish so quarantining them all for 8-12 weeks is really not an option.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Do not try to treat it in your reef system. If the product says it's reef safe, it doesn't work. Many tangs will come down with stress related ich when they are moved into your system, but most times a combination of good food and time will help them kick it. As long as it continues eating, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef!!!

Hippo tangs get ich all the time. Keep your water parameters stable. Maybe feed a little more than normal making sure the food is soaked in vitamins and HUFAs and don't worry about it. If it stops eating as much, add some garlic to entice them to eat.

5. WestKYReef

WestKYReef Plankton

Thanks for the advice. Tang is still very active and eating well so hopefully she will be OK.