treating ich in the maintank (reef tank)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nanomania, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

my fish died coz of my mistake. it just jumped out of the quarentine.

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

it was suffering from clownfish disease coz of stress from my chromis. the chromis was torturing her as it was half the size of chromis and in my 15gal nano. what other fish can i keep? the damsels i gave back coz they were picking on the tanticles of my button polyps. or should i add chromis? i like them for their hardiness and colours. i really want to add clowns but 8 clowns died god knows for what reason. clowns dont survive in my tank. can i add a six line wrasse?

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I wouldn't add any more chromis's. I've heard that they will pick/bully each other until there is only a few left. Others feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this. A six line wrasse should be fast enough and small enough to be able to avoid being picked on. I would just make sure that it has plenty of places to hide though.

Have you thought about getting rid of your chromis's so you can keep other fish?

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

While the Chromis is a schooling fish in the wild, they need a large tank and a large school to get along in captivity. Otherwise, they go through a "pecking order" until only 1 or 2 are left.

That would be my suggestion- and find something more suitable for your tank. I think your tank size is bringing out the aggression in him. They have a recommended tank size of 30g, and they are usually peaceful toward other species.

1 person likes this.
  6. nanomania

i dont wana give away my chromis, its been in my tank since 1.5yrs, just dont feel like giving away. so what if i dont add any fishes now and just add a skunk cleaner shrimp? there are many hiding spaces tho. and add more corals to make my tank look more colourful. mine is a softies dominated tank. any suggestions?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

After reading countless threads on this Ich subject I just have to say. I have NEVER had an Ich problem.How do I account for this?Luck?? Can't be that I am the most unlucky person on the planet.;D Never even seen one spot on any fish. (This is not to say it has never been in my system.)I have NEVER used a QT tank.I acclimate by dropping the bag in for 15 min.and let her/him go. I contribute my success to a few simple rules on SW fish.
    1-Never overcrowd your tank. SW fish require alot of space compared to FW fish(species dependant).You have to keep any aggresion to a minimum.Aggresion can take on many forms for fish and does not always include biting or chasing.Simple posturing threats (sometimes physical and or vocal)can be stressful over long periods.
    2-Acclimation. My feeling here is the animal has already been stressed enough by the time it arrives at my house any extended acclimation procedure just lengthens this. I just also would like to point out my LFS has very good water quality compared to some other places.(I guess I am a bit lucky lol) And I usually use my refractometer to check the salinity of the bagged water before dumping.
    3-Selection. Never buy anything be it invert/fish unless you have witnessed it eating.(Of course this is hard to do with online purchases.)
    Inspect the specimen carefully.Buying nothing is better then bringing home death. Be selective to increase your odds of success.Check compatibilty with other fish/inverts in the system.
    Always research what you buy. Don't buy it if you don't know what it is.
    4-Water quality.Keep up with your WC or other form of nutrient export.
    5-Enviroment. You want to create the right enviroment for the fish/invert you select. Proper aquascaping can help you get the maximum ammount of space out of your tank and keep your fish/invert feeling more at ease.
    6-Feed a variety of foods (After all it is the spice of life) but never overfeed.Good nutrition builds a healthy immune system.
    After all this is said and done my point is a healthy fish in the correct enviroment should have the means to combat this parasite on its own. I have had incredibly good luck at keeping fish and inverts. for long periods of time using the above methods.If Ich could attack and kill healthy fish none would survive the ordeal they go through before they reach your house.
    It is also entirely possible that the fish is infected by another parasite/disease before Ich can attack and we think Ich is killing them when its just a contributing factor.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Some of the best advice out there. Very well put. I think this post should be part of a sticky somewhere if it already isn't.

1 person likes this.
  10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well thanks but I would think we would want someone smarter then I to tweak it a little more.lol
    I added acclimation.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  11. nanomania

my LFS SG is 1.027-28 mine is 1.023-24. so i have to acclimate. i use to aclimate by floating bag then adding my tank water then leaving in my tank but i guess i use to add just a little water of my tank and people add double than the bag water. i guess thats why iv been having prob + my chromis is a bully. i guess ill just add a skunk.