Transporting Natural Sea Water

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 30, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ok. This natural sea water thing is throwing me a few curve balls. I originally thought,'hey I live on the pacific coast - I got it made!'

Well...

1) Collecting at high tide.

- I haven't quite figured this one out. I don't have a boat. Something tells me I might get desperate and go swimming out with the sharks and a big container.

Maybe there is a long pier or two I can go out on, but then how do I suck the water up? This is going to require a strong pool pump and this leads me to ...

2) Transporting the water home.

- If I figure number 1 out, number 2 is still going to be tricky.
    I think I have a solution, but this requires two things I don't have.

2a) A big storage container that will hold a lot of sea water. I found one. BUt they are expenive and cumbersome, see below.

2b) A truck. But my neighbor has one. Hmm....

Anyway, this is what I have found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.watertanks.com/category/152/

Oh boy. Love to do it. But this is going to be quite an operation. [smiley=sneaky.gif]

What do you think?

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Matt-

Why do you need to transport 210g? Thats a ton of water for your 75g. I use 15g blue containers and 5g clear containers to transport my water around. As far as collecting, I'll look into a good area for you, I know quit a few people around you.

BTW, the guy who supplies us with water has a city-van with I think 1000g container w/ a pump assisted 2" output. He has his own dock in Half Moon Bay. I filters it down to 1 micron.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Gresham any help is appreciated.

I have been looking at this 210 gallon beast because then I wouldn't have to go as often. My two tanks together make about half that, so I could go a few water changes with that much.

I am open to figuring out just the right combo of hassle and neccesity.

I really don't know what that is yet. But I can tell you I don't want some 'milkman' to show up at my door. That takes the fun out of it.

It's the thrill of the hunt for this goofball. [smiley=cowboy.gif]

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

wow thats sounds like a big chore your taken on but if it works what wont we do for our tanks lol. me i dont have access to fresh sea water so i gotta go with the IO or reef crystals. i use 2 and a half gall water jugs to carry my water in and i go to my moms to get it, doesnt cost me anything and surprising enough i can use it for the tank. its well water but it has no phosphates, nitrates, or copper in it and its all ive used so far

6. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

Hey Matt, how about going to a fishing pier and dropping a bucket off the end with a good strong rope, use a 5 or ten gallon bucket. Pulling all that H2O up will be an excellent arm work out and One can never get too much exercise. Or you could get a SERIOUS salt water pole and use some good line or rope and "fish" for your ocean water off the Pier. As far as doing the 210 gallon thing too much water to move. Your trips would not be enjoyable. But a weekly "water fishing trip" can turn into a day at the beach, time for relaxing and introspection, and you never know You might brain storm on an idea to make all this even easier. Plus transporting less water is better because if you spill it (and all us Reefers have spilled a LOT of water at one time or another) The damage wont be so devastating.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The problem with using a pier, in our area, is most are in a harbor (little water movement). Our bay is highly polluted with many heavy metals and even some nuclear waste if the current is just right. We need to pull water from a part of the bay that is fully moving (incoming tide the best). I know of a few parks that are perfect, I just need to get you(Matt) the names and directions.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Gresham that sounds cool. We gotta hook up and search out the good stuff. You are spooking me with that nuclear stuff! I swim in that water now and then! Hahah. I guess I am going to glow soon. ;D

Apophis924 you crack me up. Excercise? Dude going upstairs to the fridge is the most excercise I get lately! ;D

I nearly died unloading the cement for my live rock! [smiley=stars.gif] lol!

heheh.