Transgenic Fish: Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

That is sooo wrong. That was a very sick looking fish. I personally would never trust any college "professor" with a ponytail telling me that these genetically engineered frankenstein looking trout are completely health and safe to eat. I would eat the gopher from my garden before I ate a bite of that thing.

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

The genetically altered fish I assume would be safe since its just changing the design of the fish to grow more meat then normal. Most people have been eating cows like this for years. And there is also a naturally occurring birth defect in cattle that does the exact same thing. My understanding from the video is they wouldnt be releasing them into nature. What I got was they would be farming the fish solely for meat which would prevent overfishing. I could be wrong though

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

here comes the "I AM LEGEND" movie in real life. next thing you know we'll have dwarf rhinos to play with.

5. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

that was trying to cure cancer

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I dunno.... this is a bit of a sore subject and kinda hits like the whole Genetically modified crops that were created a few years back.

Now personally, i believe that genetically modfiying fish to have more meat on them, or crops so that they will grow in arrid landscapes and produce more yield is a good thing. It could be the answer to world hunger. Scientist would never allow consumption of such products without it being tried and tested and 100% safe.
    This is just my opinoin.

I wont open up the discussion further about leaving mother nature alone... cos i could by mentioning everytime you drive a car or just generally live, your carbon footprint screws her all over the show, like 10 male guppies in a tank with one female. But lets leave that one be.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I agree with you. A lot of people don't realize how much of the food that we're currently eating is already genetically modified. If it wasn't for science, you'd never be able to enjoy corn on the cob, bananas, pork, chicken, etc. etc.

That being said, I could probably live without genetically modified food. Sure, there would be more fights over who got to eat the white meat on the chicken/turkey, etc. but I could live with that :lol:

8. Click Here!

9. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

All i can think is Zombie fish!!!!:drool:

But seriously, that's just so wrong on so many levels. Maybe one day we humans will learn we can't control or even improve everything. We as a species are so cocky.

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I can see the zombie apocalypse starting through something like this...

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

There is more then enough food on the planet to feed everyone. The problem is proper distribution and use. Using good grain for ethanol is not a good way to feed the masses.

We don't need to GM our food. We need to find a better way to get it to the hungry (huge problem). Monsanto isn't trying to feed the masses, they're trying to make money off the masses (and hungry). Them suing farmers who's crops got CONTAMINATED by their GMO seed stock is utterly ridiculous. Soon it'll be a few "super" farms and no family based ones. The writing is on the wall :(

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I think that the writing has been on the wall for quite some time now. The problem is, nobody's reading the wall :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "for" genetically modified food but I'm certainly not naive enough to think that I'm not already eating it :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010