transferring old reef tank to new bigger tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by marlinman, Jan 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

I can do you one better.....We are putting our new 120 gallon where the 72 bowfront freshwater is. Then the 72 gallon freshwater is moving upstairs where the current 72 gallon reef tank is. We are not looking forward to this. We have to tear down disc tank, put them into rubbermaid tubs (works wonderfull) then put up 120 reef, make sure no leaks, etc . run for day or two (while fresh are still in tub :-/). Then when it is ok, start breaking down the reef tank and put corals/fish, etc. into rubbermaid tubs to carry downstairs to new tank. When that is done, we move fresh upstairs and put that tank up.

Rubbermaid tubs are wonderful. We've used them many times and my corals, fish, inverts have lived a couple of weeks (carpet replaced, moved once, water leak on tank once , ect.) in them. I just put the heater in it and put the light across the top. We never lost anything. Just take your time. We do big water changes a couple of days before this and keep as much as that water as possible to transfer to new tank w/ the 125# of rock.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Very nice setup, but please tell me that you have corrected what I just saw on the pic with the two hoses that are connected to the bottom of your tank. NO CLAMPS!!!!! Not to bad on the drain, but that return will fail. Esspecially over your powerstrip.

Also, the screws that are sticking out the bottom cover them! Use silicon, cork, or whatever. I cut myself really good one time because of that. I'd use silicon, to protect them from salt. Even stainless is rust over time.

John

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Wow and I thought I had it rough. Whew, your gonna sleep good after that!8)

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Yeah, I guess it's better to be more cautious. Thanks for the heads up.

6. ComputerJohn

No problem, I'd hate to see all that hard work go all over your floor!! ;D

7. ComputerJohn

Matter of fact put clamps on all hoses that water passes through, of course except hard piping. On my new setup that I'm currently building, I'm incorparating fail safe after fail safe. Both temp & water monitors that I'm connecting to my alarm panel as zones, the monitoring company already calls me when I loose power an added plus. It's a very cheap & reliable setup, of course I'm going to put in place a controller as well, that will notify me of any mishaps.