torch troubles! (with pics)

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by fezzz, May 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fezzz

fezzz Flamingo Tongue

hi everyone, i recently put what i beleive to be a torch coral into my tank. it was introduced yesterday and seemed fine almost straight away, opened up completely. im pretty confident about the placement and its in direct light and moderate water flow.it just has a nice subtle movement about it, not gettin hammered by a powerhead.
    now it had opened up and been fine for the 16 or so hours its been in the tank but just an hour or so ago half of it retracted its tentacles back in completely and the other half looks to have shrunk a bit as well..
    the other thing is that now there seems to be long brown strings coming from what i beleive to be its mouth.
    are these sweeper tentacles and normal behaviour or is this coral stressed and in trouble?
    my water paramaters are all good, temp is right, did a water change before introducing it yesterday, it is under twin 24" t5 bulbs, one white, one blue.

okay i did have pictures but they are too big to upload and i dont know how to shrink them down to an acceptable size, so any help for now would be appreciated and ill try to post pics asap!!!

what could be the problem???

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Fezzz -

Im sure what I am about to write is OK , even without the pictures

Your torch is deflating to expel its wastes, the brown stuff coming out is its waste
    Torch corals have several heads and sometimes one or more deflates and expels its wastes ( my fish often eat this actually)

mine fully deflates every day about an hour or so after lights out - thats normal

monitor it and Im sure it will be back to its previous best before the day is over

Steve

4. fezzz

fezzz Flamingo Tongue

That thought did cross my mind.. Because one head remained open, now the lights are off and one head seems fine and the other is completely closed, although the brown stuff seems to have been washed away. I'm off to do night shift.. I shall check on it when I get home in the morning

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Im sure its going to be fine, new corals can be a worry
    youll get used to its habits and behaviour in time
    and when you do, you'll have to reply to the next person with a new Torch coral that posts a question about brown stuff coming out and heads retracting

Steve

6. fezzz

fezzz Flamingo Tongue

Yeah it's all experience in the end.. And once I have the experience to help others out like you have than I most certainly will.

1 person likes this.