torch stinging my hammer?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by crustytheclown, Jun 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

I think that my torch is finally starting to sting my hammer? I know they can be grown in very close proximity without harming one another. Here are some pics. I dont know what to do? It seems as if some of the tentacles on the torch have gotten longer. Are they the ones doing the damage? It seems that these rogue tentacles have stung the hammer polyps and caused one head to completely detract. It looks like a few others may be next? Any reason that this just eventually happens? Ive been growing these two in the same spot for over 6 months?:confused:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i dont think so they r cousins

4. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Im no expert but maybe its possible. There seem to be mixed ideas.

5. crustytheclown

well. it seems to be happening so im gonna keep an eye on it and maybe ill have to move one :(

6. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I would try moving the torch since its the most aggressive. See if it helps. Are there any other signs of damage besides the lost head? Like does the hammer look upset on that side?

7. Zeyphon

Zeyphon Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

They look like they're developing into sweeper tentacles to me, might want to move the torch if the aggression keeps up.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Often they are kept close with no issue, however, Euphyllia can definitely sting other Euphyllia. There is no question about this, it can and does happen occasionally. It doesn't really matter that they are "cousins". The only exception, with any certainty, is if they are clones from the same mother colony. However, that said, often they do co-exist without issue, just as softcorals can often coexist without issue, sometimes, but not always.

Often they can coexist for sometime without issue and then one decides it want to grow and you have a problem. This happened to me with a frogspawn and a hammer. They were in close proximity for a long time and then the frogspawn started stinging the hammer. It actually killed a few heads before I finally moved the hammer.

10. Zeyphon

Zeyphon Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I actually had a similar experience with a bubble coral and a hammer, they were fine for a couple months, then they both grew a little and before I knew it the bubble had taken out three of the hammer's heads.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

IME torches are more aggressive. My torch stings my frogspawn but the frogspawn has shown no ill effects from it.

Keeping track of what happens sounds good and be prepared to move if necessary.

Nice looking little garden there.

12. crustytheclown

gonna move the torch. it is getting angry.