Torch Question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by ClowningAround, Nov 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ClowningAround

ClowningAround Bristle Worm

I have a 75g tank with 4*65 was pc and I just bought a torch yesterday. I placed it towards the top of my tank and last night it was opened nicely. Now today it isnt opened up that much.Should I try and move it or should I let it get used to my tank instead of moving it around so much?

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

It will be fine mid to high in your tank, as long as the light bulbs aren't too old and your water parameters are up to par.

4. ClowningAround

So then I should just let it be and give it time to adjust?

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep, as bogie said as long as your parameters are in check. I just added a euphyllia to my tank(couple of days ago). It hasn't closed up once.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Make sure its in a low flow area, they do not like strong current. Hopefully you have a really low flow area up top? The lights you have aren't going to be strong enough anywhere else. And like they said good water params. Keep the nitrates low or at zero. Give it time. They are sensitive and can take time to adjust. If you move it be sure to not touch the fleshy area; only grab the skeleton branches

7. ClowningAround

Well my torch has died. It started having the brown jelly disease cover it. I did dips with lugols solution but it didnt help.

My question is what causes this? I just had the same thing wipe out my show piece frogspawn.What should I do a water change? Any help would be nice so it doesnt happen again

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

What are your params?

10. ClowningAround

Nitrate:20
    Nitrite:0
    Ammonia:0
    Ph.8.0
    Alk"High
    Calcium:450
    Phosphate:0
    salinity:1.026

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

PH is low and those nitrates are high. IDK about the frogspawn, but torch is fairly sensitive. Mine will start to whither if the nitrates even hit 5.
    Also when handling them be sure to touch only the stalks. The oil on our skin is enough to cause an infection if you touch the white flesh where the head attaches to the skeleton. Also, make sure to never expose them to the air and only handle them when they are closed

12. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Mine sit in Nitrates of 30 and seem to be doing fine. With all the other corals having problems my torch seems happy!!