Torch Issues

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by SaltNoob, May 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltNoob

SaltNoob Plankton

I have torch than has been in my tank for around a month, very happy with all the heads opening up very large. Just a couple days ago I noticed one of the heads is no longer opening, and I'm not sure what could be the cause. Has anyone experienced this before?

For reference my water parameters are:
    80*F
    SG 1.025
    Ph 8.2
    Nitrates ~0
    Nitrites~ 0
    Ammonia~0
    Calcium 470
    Phospahtes .5 ppm (I know this is a bit high. I did a water change last night and haven't yet re-checked)

Here are couple pictures of the coral for reference. I took these right after the lights came on before the other heads extended, otherwise you can't see the closed head at all. I apologize for the cell pics, its all I've got ATM.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

what is your Alk and Mag?

4. SaltNoob

SaltNoob Plankton

Mag I'm unsure of. Alk was about 8 dKH when I checked it last week adn I need to get another kit for it as I'm out of testing supplies.

On another note I'm home at lunch and another head is mostly closed. Not as totally gone like the first but not anywhere near as open as usual. I have been having some hair algae issues for the last few days as well that I'm trying to get under control.

EDIT: Here is a pic at lunch.

[​IMG]

EDIT again: The second head in the pic above is fine now. Something must have just irritated it right before I saw it.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. SaltNoob

SaltNoob Plankton

Turns out the head I thought was sick is actually dead and it was just a skin covering the hole where the head had been.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Please google brown jelly disease.

Also, how are you dealing with the algae issues, biopellets, carbon.......?