torch coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by jessel518, Jul 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Ok guys here's whats going on. The other day I bought a new torch coral and im having a hard time figuring out what is going on with it. Its not fully extended but is there too much flow, not enough, to much light not enough. I looks like the 2 back heads are dying the rest look good. Just not open all the way. In the pictures that rock it is on was up a little and back on the other rocks. I moved it down closer to the sand bed this morning. Thanks for all the help. Any help on which way to move it would be great.

Oh btw tank parms are
    S.G.-1.025
    Amonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-0
    Magnesium-1350
    Calcium-420
    Alk-8

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You need to give the coral time to acclimate fully to your system, that may take more than a week.

The coral looks fine outside of the two heads. The backmost head is the one that looks like it may be in danger. The other just looks unhappy.

Let the coral be for a week. If it still looks unhappy move it down to the sand. Flow looks fine. Lighting is hard to tell. IME if the lighting is too high the corals don't open up as much so they don't get an energy overload.

4. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Ok, wasnt sure how long it would take for the coral to acclimate. What should I do with the back head? Leave that be for now also?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Leave the back head until you see definite signs of deterioration.

6. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

ok sounds good. Thanks. If I have anymore questions I will repost them.

7. project1

project1 Spaghetti Worm

i have a torch in a med to high flow and another in a med to low flow so you will find what it likes. i wouldnt worry to much at this point.

8. Click Here!

9. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

ok so i got home from work last night and there is major deteriation of those 2 heads and maybe spreading to a third. all the flesh is gone from one and most from the second. Please help...

10. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Here is the updated pics for today.

Attached Files:

11. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

No sugestions? im worried itsgoing to happen to the rest of the coral as well

12. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

tell us more about your system lights, how old are they, wattage, type, was the coral hurt in transport home, these coral are fairly tough in the tank but sometimes there hurt in transport plus i believe that coral was taken from the ocean because of the color of the branches. from what i see i'm gonna go with hurt in transport. put enough flow on it to make it sway gently in the wind. there's very little you can do about the damaged polyps or heads. lighting and flow are the things that will help it the most. i wish i could say more. do you have a protein skimmer or anyother type of filter in the sump

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011