Torch Coral trouble

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by unclejed, May 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi gang, just back from Longboat Key Fla. Had a great time and will post some pics later. Since I got back it appears something has happened to my Torch Coral. It grew from 5 heads to over 15 and was doing great. When I got back, 3 heads are dead and 3 or 4 are not expanding. The rest of the heads seem o.k. The only thing I did different was to turn off the skimmer for the week I was gone. Fish were fed every other day. There is a large Yellow Fin Damsel in there and once in awhile he nips at it but nothing terrible. I don't know if he would eat them? or, if the water being "dirtier" had a negative effect. The Frog Spawn is real good and all the leathers are doing fine. Any ideas??

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Did everyone go away for the holiday!!

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Either could have done it. I would watch the tank closely. Make sure that the heads aren't being smothered by the other heads of the torch, too.

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

was the house closed up? i know when my house is closed up like in winter, my torch n frogspwn dont like the low PH.they shrivel after several days of low PH.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

The house was closed up but the PH is 8.2 Really bums me out. I am hoping it was the skimmer being off.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I think euphy's are like the canaries of the hobby. Mine is always the first coral to tell me something is out of whack in the water. But since your froggie is doing ok I don't know. Hope it turns out to be something simple. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sad news uncle Jed

I take it you had someone visiting to mind the tank?
    could it have toppled during you absence and then picked up by the person looking after the set up?

as skin contact on the flesh can cause heads to die off
    as can being against a hard surface or down on the sand bed

something must have happened to that specific coral during the week IMO
    do you normally feed daily? and during your absence 1 fish that normally never bothers a coral decided to take it out on the torch?

I dont know, I can only throw in the above possible reasons
    hopefully the remaining heads will continue to flourish now you are back

Steve

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It didn't fall over, nor did he touch it. All of my parameters are fine although I will check Ammonia just to re-assure myself. I have to think it was turning off the skimmer at this point as that was something I never did when going away.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Well UJ..Now I have the same exact problem. I woke up this morning and my torch, which was fine yesterday, has a dead head and the other two aren't extending. All of my parameters are in check as well.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Moved to 'coral health' board.