Torch Coral suddenly dying?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Boywithafishtan, Nov 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey reefers!

So, i just got a torch coral, since its one of the most beautiful corals in my opinion, but then, 4 of its heads just started to shrink like crazy, and the tentacles were all flat. It looked like that for 2 days and then it just began to lose its tentacles. However, one or two of its heads are doing okay, and are opened up. But its really weird, because it was opened up the first 2 days, and then it just... died... I would like to note that i drip acclimated it for 1 and a half hour, i also dipped and inspected the coral... I even got a frogspawn in my tank, that is doing extremely well, and has been doing that for soon a half year. So whats wrong? Do you guys have any clue what is happening here? :(

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

water parameters? it could be anything from brown jelly to a shock caused by your lighting. a picture and a few more details (what lights you use/ what lights the shop had) would help.

also if you directly touched the corals tissue when you were dripping it and or placing it your tank, then that can have severe consequences.

4. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

too much current? it really sounds like that coral may have been ready to have issues before you received it.

5. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

I made sure to not touch any coral tissue in the dipping process, so i dont think thats the reason. The lighting didnt get that much stronger in my tank, compared to the shops tank. We both have LEDs, and i sat the coral down on the lower parts of the tank, so that it wouldnt recieve as intense light here to begin with atleast. The coral that is dying, looks just like it closed up, however i begins to get slimey, and just slowly falls off. The tentacles are all flat aswell, like they arent filled with water as usual. I'm just really confused, and i hope i can get a good explanation from either some experts here, or from the store, because i dont want to waste 70$ on nothing... :(

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Can you post your water parameters? Too many variables to consider.

7. wez

wez Astrea Snail

I lost 2 through alk swings. Dosing and spiking levels seen mine off within a week

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Asking for help without listing parameters is like playing the "What color shirt am i wearing" game.