Torch coral problem

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Elliot09, Jan 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

My torch coral has 5 heads, and for the past 3 days only two of them have been open (open as usual, nothing wrong so far). The other three have been shut constantly, and one of them is now starting to show some of the skeleton underneath (picture attatched..). I assume it's too late for that head, and that the other heads will also go down the same route..

What should I be doing? As you can see, it's in two branches and the left hand branch is doing fine. Should I take the torch out of the tank? Should I think about possibly removing the right hand branch?

Here's some pics, not very clear.

On this, the head at the front here has started to show some skeleton, and the other head and small head next to it have not been open for a while:
    [​IMG]

And on the second, this is the whole colony, as you can see half of it is opening fine:
    [​IMG]

My params were measured yeserday:

Nitrite - 0 ppm
    Nitrate - 0 ppm
    Ammonia - 0 ppm
    SG - 1.025
    KH - 6.7
    Magnesium - 1320
    Calcium (a little high, but nothing major?) - 480 ppm
    Phosphate - 0.015 ppm
    Temp - 25 degrees Celsius
    Tank age of around 7 - 8 months of which the coral has been here, to my best guess, for about 4-5 months.
    Under 150w halides, with a moderate flow.

If there are any other details you guys want, I'll try my best to get them for you.

Thanks for any help given.

EDIT: On second thoughts, should probably of put this in ASAP...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You should look at removing the worst head. Check the others for damage and decide from there. I think that snail? between the heads could be a source of the problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

It's a hermit, but has only been there for a few hours, haha, forgot to mention that.

Cheers for your help!

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You're welcome

6. BMXCLAY

BMXCLAY Purple Spiny Lobster

the calcium isnt that high for having corals...

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Calcium is fine. If the KH is DKH, it is low. Alkalinity in DKH should be at least 7.8-9. Since you have it on the bottom the crabs may be pestering it more than you know.

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

rubystars torch coral had a problem when she first got it during week one after acclimation two of the heads didnt make it. we had to use pliers and rip it off. the skeleton breaks apart pretty easier than one would think.

when the heads actually 'dead' it'll look like it has a redish sludge on the skeleton that will start to float off of it and move onto the rest of the coral. once we removed that head, its been fine since. 5 heads originally.. 3 heads after purchase / acclimation

only experience i have with the torch coral was this... hope it helps in breaking it apart. pliers ftw

10. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

Cool, thanks all!

11. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

Cut off the bad half at the risk of it spreading to the other half and the other corals as it disintegrates.

12. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

something has to be pestering it. the other half is opened nicely... so I would start looking at what could be pestering it on the other side. If all 4 were closed up then I would suggest water params.

But it could be a critter that walked over em and aggravated tissue.

But yea as mentioned fix your alk problem. bring up to at least 8.0

FWIW torchs are a tiny bit harder to keep happy than other euphyllias.

give it time....Should fix itself if you keep good params.