Torch Coral Poop??

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Annie3410, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ok so this is gonna sound a little silly....
    So I bought a torch coral from my LFS a few weeks ago. It seems happy and healthy most of the time. It has multiple branches, and a few days ago, one branch closed up and some stringy, brown, presumably poop, came out of its mouth:toilet:. So, a little while later, that branch expanded and all was well in the world. So now, another branch is doing the same thing.... Is this normal.... I know everything has to poop somehow, but I just havent been able to find any info about how exactly a torch coral poops. It does seem like a lot of waste that comes out. Well, laugh away, and any responses are appreciated!!

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

yeh my galaxy coral and my mushrooms do that all the time yes it is secreting it's waste.;D

4. Annie3410

Sweet. Thanks. I see my shrooms and zoas poop, but I just never imagined the amt of poop each branch of the torch secrets. It gets to about 3 inches long before if finally breaks loose then my brittle star usually catches it...ewe

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

LOL, yep just poop. And completely normal for it to not look so good before and afterwards for a little bit

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

This "poop" that we are talking about could be the coral expelling its zooxanthellae........

7. Annie3410

I hope not, this is what i was afraid was happening the first time, but then a few hours later, the branch looked great again. I hope its just poop. How would I differentiate just plain old poo from the coral's zooxanthellae?

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Expelling zooxanthellae isn't always a bad thing. Could just be trading out for different strain:)..........

1 person likes this.
  10. Annie3410

K+ cool, i didnt realize that it wasn't always bad.