torch coral and zoas

Discussion in 'Coral' started by clown1234, Aug 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

hey everyone i was thinking well i have been researching and have found that's zoas have a nuerotoxin i have a torch coral right near were the zoas will be going and i was just wondering will the zoas hurt or kill the torch or my clown fish??

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

As long as they are not touching you will be fine but the clown on the other hand might want to host the torch and could hurt the torch but its a big IF if they will try to host it or not

4. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

okay thankyou :) looks like i can't get the zoas now... :-\

5. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

why can you not have zoas? they are nice and easy - the only way it will hurt other coral if u place them on top of each other.
    True clowns will host torch corals - I have an LTA and the clowns go to the torch when the LTA closes up - as long as the clowns don't host the torch all the time it will be fine.

6. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Zoas are reletively harmless. They don't usually sting, and would probably lose a battle with anything that does.

They spread, but are usually lower on the aggression list than kenya's and GSP. As tank said, as long as they aren't right on top of eachother you are fine.

7. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

small tank and the only room for the zoas is one my live rock that will be directly next to the torch when the zoas grow more frags and im to scared to frag my torch atm but he is gettin a bit big

8. Click Here!

9. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

or will the zoas not grow if the torch is to close??

10. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I'd be more worried about the torch destroying the zoas instead of the other way around!

11. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

really why is that?? would have thought the zoas would do more damage and would have packed more of a punch...so if they were to grow on the LR would they avoid the torch or what would happen

12. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Zoas do not have sweeper tentacles that sting. Torches do. The Zoas are not able to reach out and sting coral they can really only have an impact on coral that directly touches them.