Torch #2 dyeing.

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Toallhisdoom, Dec 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

So after my first torch died, everyone said it was my light. Well now my second one is dying. Same thing again, did great first week and now i wake up and one of the heads is sucked in. Water params all check out fine as they did before. Even did 5 gal water change last night. Its right next to my frogspawn that is doing good. And my torch on oposite side of tank is doing good. What can i do?
    As you can see in this pic one head in the back is closed up, the other in front is deflated. And the 3rd head is still open. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

are the ones dying new additions? i had a problem with torch/frogspwan/hammer when i purchased them and the employee didnt let the coral retract before pulling out of the water. just a thought.
    if they werent new additions, what are your params?
    ive found that sometimes some lps can hang in my tank while another almost the same secies will not do good. kinda hit and miss.
    also how much flow is on it?

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

calcium? alkalinity? flow? nutrients? algae growth? fish?

5. Toallhisdoom

PH: 8.0
    Cal: 460
    KH: 7-8
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Salinity 1.025-1.026 with ATO

Reefbreeders 120w fixture with 90*optics less then half power. torch and frogspawn are on sand bed. light is about 12" above water 21"from waterr surface to sand bed, low flow. Last time i started the same torch(from same colony) mid height with moderate flow, and it did the same thing.

Fish:
    1 spot Foxface
    Yellow tang
    2x clowns
    2x yellow clown goby
    yasha goby
    engineer goby
    green spotted mandarin
    red scooter
    lyretail anthias
    cleaner shrimp
    pepermint shrimp
    baby pistol shrim if he is still alive(havent seen him since add)
    snails/hermits
    conch

6. Toallhisdoom

should i dip it in coral RX? i know its on the way out so ill try anything at this point.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It looks pretty brown, so, it wouldn't seem that there is "too much" light and you say "low" flow. Does the heads wave around in the flow, or is it pretty stagnant? I would say they like a good amount of light and moderate flow.

I can't imagine a 120W led with 90 degree optics could be getting "too much" light down 33", but we can estimate this. With 90 degree optics, the light should drop off pretty quickly, I would calculate that at 15" from the light, you'd only expect about 38% of the light that you would have at 10" and at 33", you'd only have about 8% of the intensity you had at 10" and only about 21% compared to at 15". So, I might expect a fixture such as that to have maybe around 1000-1200 PAR at 10", so, at 33" a rough guess would be about 80-96 PAR. This is probably a bit low for a torch, but should be tolerable.

You said before it was midway, 1/2 of 21 is 10.5. so, 10.5"+12"=22.5", which again guesstimating 1000-1200 PAR at 10" puts you about 170-204. That should certainly be in a reasonable range for a torch. So, I would not guess light is the issue at either location (unless there is some other reason, such as shade from another rock or coral).

Have you changed anything else recently? Added GFO or GAC for example? Has alk been stable, or do you dose a lot of supplement at once? Do you add any trace elements?

Changes in water chemistry can annoy euphyllia. And trace elements can be toxic if too much is added (you didn't mention algae). Also algae growth can be detrimental to corals for a variety of reasons including release of potentially harmful organics (and BTW trace elements can drive algae).

Is there any brown jelly or anything?

Personally, with euphyllia, I find that if it can not be traced to the above, then, it is almost certainly a water quality issue, regardless of test results. I would try a 25-30% water change and if it helps, continue weekly for a few weeks, then back down to 10-15%. I've had a lot of luck with this method when underlying issues are tough to identify.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Also, the light estimates are assuming the LED is not being dimmed significantly. That would change certainly the results.

10. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

My 2cents

leave it alone - torch like most long tentacle lps they will detract at some point. If it is a new addition it will take time for it to become acclimated

11. Toallhisdoom

i was out and open for 5 days, then shrunk up, just like the last one. I just dont get why they come out all happy after i put them in, then a week later get mad and shrink up. lol

12. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

i have had my 2 torches for three years - they both every once in a while close up for a day - with all parameters being perfect.
    if you see others close up or the torch is closed and deteriorating then i would try a Hydrogen Peroxide fw bath.