Top off DIY?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by PackerFan12, Apr 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackerFan12

PackerFan12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Does anyone know how to build a auto top off for pretty cheap? If so can you put the parts necessary and where I can get them. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Depends on your definition. You can easily do it for $109.00 using parts built for this:

JBJ A.T.O. - Automatic Top Off System Water Level Controller

$79.99 Auto Top Off w/ (2) Sensors
    $3.99 5 Gallon Bucket
    $2.50 5 ft Tubing
    $21.99 Rio 800 Pump

I am sure you can do a DIY for less money but unless you feel comfortable doing that, I would go with the sure thing. This solution also protects your pump from running dry with the 2nd sensor.

Good luck!

4. rdarris

rdarris Feather Duster

depends greatly on the what exactly you want.

the option above is a good one, i use the same general controller, pump ,switch model. its reliable and has some fail safes

if you want the uber cheap option its as simple as having the top off water(5gal bucket) higher than the sump your topping off and using a 20$ float valve to let water gravity drain when the float valve opens. this obviously has some limitations, but its cheap and effective.

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

thats what i did. a 30g drum thats gravity fed to the sump with a float valve. it lasts 3 weeks in winter 2 in summer

6. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

This is most likely the cheapest auto top off DIY.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

That is the most amazingly brilliant top off system ever! K+ for spreading the knowledge.

8. Click Here!

9. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

You can do something like this:

Marine Depot AquaDoser

I started with this solution but it has some obvious issues. It is cheaper then my above solution but I would not trust for the long term. Like anything if you monitor on a daily basis you will be fine, issues found can be compensated for, if you cannot pay much attention to your system I would be careful. (Edit) I would go with the above solution from ReefWizard before using this.

10. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

1 person likes this.
  11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

The aquahub or the autotopoff.com ones will do the trick for the least amount of money.

If you don't want to, or can't DIY it, get the reef fanatic ATO as it is around 90 dollars and only needs a 10 dollar aqualifter pump to run it, or any pump that can have a hose put onto the outlet.

The jbj ones have had issues of failure, while I have not heard of any issues with the RF ATO. My RF ATO has worked flawlessly fr a couple years now.