Tooo much flow from new Hydors

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by lillys Grandad, Feb 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

yes, it shook up the system while moving things around, trying to find the sweet spot, It even stirred up the sand bed and started me a little cycle..mild diatoms, but almost cleared up now..I was just looking at my hammer head, and it has 4 new little heads!!... these were NOT there 5 days ago..zoas and palys now have massive skirts...also I would say that the birds nest is reaching out further...just all good stuff:cheesy:

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

People would be shocked at how much flow I run my tanks with. A lot of it is truly how you have things aimed.

1 person likes this.
  4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Doesn't any reputable Pro. Skimmer 'oxygenate' the water enough? Think about it, all those tiny bubbles?

I have a several powerheads in my tank, All are aimed a bit down, and towards the rocks. My tank is 6 ft long though, more area to dissipate the flow I guess.

When I aimed 'em down too much, they would move all my fine crushed coral substrate away to bare bottom.

I'm really glad you got it worked out, lots of flow is good as you know.

1 person likes this.
  5. mkcat

mkcat Astrea Snail

I know this thread is a few weeks old but great info. I've been pointing 1 up and 2 down on the ends. Currently I have 2 1400 hydors and 2 weeks ago got a hydor 7?( Whichever has the 2250 flow.) Anyway sand blows everywhere cuz they were pointing down but still had dead spots. Can't wait for morning to move them around!

1 person likes this.
  6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Just saw this thread for the first time.

I almost had a heart attack when I read the first post since I was one of the ones who recommended that combo of Koralias. Glad it all worked out in the end, and can't wait to see the video.

1 person likes this.
  7. jcoreyblack

jcoreyblack Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This is the same combo I was looking to run

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

It is so awesome now...I think it takes the new pumps to settle down a bit also?..but it couldn't be better...I will try to get a little video review going on this setup...I did have some "growing pains", but persevered, and all is good.8) I now have the wavemaker at the #2 setting (stronger) ..go figure.;D
    ...lesson here..don't panic.

10. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

do you have your koralia 1050 plugged into a wavemaker? my 1050 is a little too much flow for my 29g but if I mess with it enough and angle it against some rocks it adds a nice boost to my flow, i used it as my only PH up until my recent addition of the JBJ Oceanstream 2x500gph w/ Wavemaker. I wish the Koralia 1050 would connect to my wavemaker but each time the channel is set to ON the koralia makes a terrible start-up noise which sends my fish into a hiding frenzy and it sucks. almost sounds as bad as when my pistol shrimp is cranky and hungry and goes pistol pete on my shrimp goby

11. lillys Grandad

yes its plugged into a red sea wavemaker..making video today:cheesy:..but is your 1050 an Evo?..I guees it has to be..huh...my 1050 has a little click...when I first got them I was a bit upset, all 4 of them were making racket...but now its just one 1050 that makes any noise at all...and that is minimal....it still has that rubber stopper on it right...i heard that if that falls off it runs backwards...could that be it? just guessing. :)

12. jcoreyblack

jcoreyblack Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for that video