Too much lighting?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by st9z, Jul 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. st9z

st9z Plankton

Hey Everyone,
    I was thinking of buying the Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 8 x 54W (4 bulbs for 10k and the other 4 for actinic 460nm)- 4 Lunar lighting unit for my 55 gallon. Do you think it would be too much lighting for my 55Gallon. Should i go with just the Nova Extreme HO Aquarium Lighting Fixture - 4 x 54W (2 bulbs for 10k and the other 2 for actinic 460nm)& 4 Lunar?

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

way to much lighting, 4x54 is more then enough for a 55g

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

5. st9z

st9z Plankton

thanks geekdafied....

what if i buy that unit and only put in 4 bulbs in. WOuld that be the same as the 4 54w? I wanted a bigger in case i decide in the future to get a bigger tank :)

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I don't see how you could ever have too much light. You might have an extra cost in electrical bill but if you think about how bright the sun is as to your bulbs your putting in your tank, I see no comparison. :-/
    I could be wrong, my wife always tells me I am..;)

7. st9z

st9z Plankton

hmm that is true

i wonder if there a specification on what tank size a 4x54W T5 and the 8x54W are good for...does anybody know?

8. Click Here!

9. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i agree with otty it is almost impossible to replicate the intensity of the sun. you will just get stuck with a higher electric bill. although if you are looking for good enough, than yes the 4 will work.

10. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I'd go 8!
    4WPG VS 7.85WPG
    DERRRR

I've seen a 15g tank with a 400W MH over it. Other than heat issues...the coral grows :p
    DO IT!

11. fritz

fritz Plankton

Don't do it, the NOVA fixture is total crap.

What makes T5s good is the parabolic reflectors. You can fit a bunch of them over a tank, each one enveloped by a parabolic reflector. If you take that reflector away you loose more than half the light of the bulb. Nova uses a single (and poor quality) reflector in their fixtures. It's just not worth buying.

If you want to go T5 I'd recomend 1 bulb for every 2.5 inches of surface area. On a 55 gallon tank that's 4.8 bulbs :) so 4 bulbs. You don't need to overdrive them with icecap ballasts either IMO. Sure they are brighter but they are also hotter and a different color when you overdrive them. If you want a fixture I'd look into an Aquatinics fixture such as their Tx5 or even a Tek fixture. I wouldn't really recommend a Tek since they have no fans and T5s need some cooling to work properly. That being said, a Tek is WAY better than a Nova.

Your other option is a DIY situation. DIYReef.com Reef Aquarium Lighting and Supplies - DIYReef has the "Tek Retri kit" (Pay the $4 to upgrade to icecap reflectors it's worth it) for pretty cheap.

One last point about "replicating the sun", corals only see full intensity sun at noon and even then they are pretty deep. Those who have gone diving know that the sun isn't very strong as you go deep. I've heard halides are more like 3pm but who knows where that number came from. Assuming it is our tanks don't have:
    Cloudy days, passing clouds, storms, sunrise or sunset. We often have 12 hours, 10 hours or 8 hours of full on light. I think you can compare that to the natural sun in terms of intensity. Many studies as of late have shown that light is not the be all end all of coral keeping. As Calfo stated a long time ago it's:
    "Flow, Food and Light in that order" that is important in coral keeping. Excess light is a means of making up for a lack of the first two but certainly is not the be all end all to coral keeping. Most corals don't even come from bright places. LPS and softies come from relatively dark environments. It's important to remember that nothing in the sea is autotrophic. Acros can't live on light alone.

Also the Watt per gallon measure is useless. When figuring your lighting needs go by depth. T5s (with a good reflector) have comparable punch to MH bulbs. CF and VHO have very little ability to penetrate deeper than 6 inches according to many studies of PAR and LUX at different depths of sea water.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  12. st9z

st9z Plankton

thanks for the info!!

I know the Tek is a better system and all but it doesnt have moon lights. Is there anyway to add moonlights to them?