Urgent Too much flow??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nathan1985, Jul 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nathan1985

nathan1985 Plankton

I have a 29g tank with two k3 one on the left and right that alternate a few times aday they are faceing the glass and up abit to ripple the water. Also have a 700lph skimmer in the tank.
    I've added a couple of quite small clown fish and they just swim in one spot at the minute or look like they are resting on the rock like there knackered. Any advice would be great thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Clownfish behavior is definitely unique.850 gph is going to be a bit too much imo.Rockwork can help create areas of milder flow though where the fish can rest.
    Pictures of your setup will help.Is it blowing the substrate around??How old is the tank?Was it cycled??

4. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

IMO you can never have too much water movement ..I think a lot of the problem is location of pumps ,where they are aimed and how strong the current is ..You can have a current that is too streamline and strong however ..
    IME , hagen powerheads provide a streamline type current(think of a hose nozzle on jet setting) vs ,say hydor which is a much nicer evenly spread out flow..
    So there is a difference in the type of circulation even if both are rated at the same turnover rate..

Most fish enjoy and need a good flowing aquarium ,,if fish aren't swimming ,they are dieing ..They come from the oceans where the currents are a lot stronger than our tank movement .

5. nathan1985

nathan1985 Plankton

Thanks for the replies. I'll be back home shortly so I'll take a pic and show you how it's set up. Yeah cycled the tank for a few week all the water tests came back fine so I don't think it's the water quality. What would you recommend the flow rate be in a tank that size be (29g) 135L. I've also got about 20kg of live rock if that makes any difference at all

6. nathan1985

nathan1985 Plankton

Oh I forgot the sand don't telly get blown around only bits of muck get lifted from the bed

7. nathan1985

nathan1985 Plankton

Here's some pics that might give you an idea of how's it's setup.
    Front image.jpg Left side image.jpg right side

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Take a PH out and see if it helps.

10. nathan1985

nathan1985 Plankton

They only run one at a time and switch every now and again?

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Certainly wouldn't be too much flow, then. As Vinny stated, clownfish behavior is unique. They may need a bit of time to adapt to the changing currents, but they'll be fine.

Av8Bluewater likes this.
  12. nathan1985

nathan1985 Plankton

Is this the best way to run the power heads or should they both be on at the same time??

: Clownfish, flow, help