Too much "direct" current bad for some SPS?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Night-Rida, Jul 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

hello everyone, I recently added two 1400gph maxijet mods to my reef tank. I had the back unit pretty much nailing my pink birdsnest and green acro frags. well the skin has started to peel off on my birdsnest. white is showing.. and my green acro polyps havent been extending out as far. I did move them both a little bit farther away from the direct flow of my Powerheads yestreday.. I do notice my green acro polyps seem to come out more now.. I think the birdsnest isnt going to make it though.. I probly should frag what I can from it, that isnt damaged. both have a little brownish hue to them where the skin is damaged. :angry:

My question will too much "direct current" rip off some skin/surface on some SPS corals? I thought SPS would love my 1400gph PH hitting them 15" away from there location on top of my live rocks.. Has anyone have similar problems? my only water problems is my phosphates are .05, and my dKH is like 23 (which is way high) I plan on getting some kalkwasser mix soon to lower that.. everything else seems fine water wise. all my other corals are doing good even my other red acro.. but after moving the red acro to that high current location, I noticed it was missing a little skin too today.. :( just thought I'd ask you guru's here, to see what you think..

7-28-09
    PH 8.0
    Nitrate 0
    Calcium 400
    KH 23
    Temp 78-81
    Nitrite 0
    Amon. 0
    Phosphate .5
    Salinity 1.024

2. Click Here!

3. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

No sps likes to be the direct path of high flow.If the acro doesn't have full polyp extension,could be too much flow.I run a vortech but have no sps right in the direct path for over a foot.That would not be a good sign if flesh is peeling away,move them asap.

4. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

I think the real reason why birdsnest corals require good flow is that once they mature and branch outwards, it is difficult for flow to reach the central inside branches, and often this causes this area to die-off. Otherwise, the outer parts really should not require much more than most LPS. My birdsnest is not getting any direct flow, and is doing fantastic.

5. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

if the polyps are unable to extend because of the intensity of the flow- you have too much flow going on. All the polyps on the birdsnest should be out in full force, and from that you should only be noticing the water current via the way the polyps waving a bit in the current.

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

As others have said, and as you've found out, too much direct current is bad and can kill coral.

Also I don't know if it's even possible for you to have an alkalinity of 23, are you sure that number is correct? Which brand of test kit are you using for this? If it really was that high I think you would be unable to have a calcium level of 400 without tons of precipitation happening.

I notice your units were in kh which is not a normal unit for measuring saltwater alkalinity, I believe it is used for freshwater though. Your kit should be measuring in dkh or meq/l or maybe in ppm. Something to doublecheck anyway.

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yeah dKH is 23. or 400 ppm KH .... Im using API reef test kit

also I just got home after not feeding my fish today.. and see my fire clown swimming around with 1 off my green chromis hanging out his mouth!!! :( sucks..

my dKH has always been high for some reason..

8. Click Here!

9. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

when you say direct flow.... how far away are you talking a few inches or a foot?

I had a maxi mod fall close to a tabling acro that was just starting to color up and blasted the skin right off of it. some ppl do not realize those are powerful mods. I am not sure of any coral that likes direct flow I know alot that like strong flow aka(alot) of flow. but always indirect. I bounce mine off of walls in the tank to get the proper flow needed

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I would doublecheck your alkalinity with another kit then or doublecheck the instructions. I don't think it's possible to have a dkh that high with your calcium at 400, it would precipitate out long before getting that high.

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

night:

read what you wrote, you answered your own question. have you ever used a power washer, it will cut rubber or skin. theres a difference between random flow and direct flow.

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yeah the PH was within 12" of my green acro and pink birdsnest.. birdsnest is pretty much bare and dead now.. and acro is probly on its way out too.. glad these were only frags and not full grow corals.. but still lessen learned..

I will probly check my dKH from another test kit soon too..

and RIP chromis #2 .. Fire/red saddleback clown is walking on thin ice.. may have to throw him in the QT after my coral beauty goes back in my DT..