Too good to be true..TaoTronics LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nc208082, Jun 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Just a reminder to keep threads on topic

which in this case is the Taotronic fixture

posts about other fixtures, or group buys of another fixture , do not belong on this thread

Steve

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

DIY is the way to go, unless you can buy custom ones. I did diy crees and love them, I have the older xp-e LEDs, and they are still going strong. Luxeons have a better output, but likely will not last as long as crees. Could a luxeon user please add info?

4. jtnova13

jtnova13 Bristle Worm

Still working on a fix for bypassing the manual pots so you can use a 0-10v signal to control it.

Luckily I work with an EE so he is doing the circuit for me. Looking like parts will cost about $20-25 per fixture to convert.

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

what kind of drivers are you using? why not use meanwell 60-48p and hook hem up to a 1-10v adapter?

The big issue with the taotronics unit, and the rest which all look like they come from same factory is the drivers. As few have wrote, when taken apart they look like the same as the meanwell,(im sorry but this does not mean anything unless you are an electrical engineer and have taken both drivers out and tested all components including quality of things used. Their will be a big difference between the cheap no name drivers and the more expensive name brand.

The leds from these cheaper units and the expensive ones is apples to oranges, the cree and bridgelux royal blue are both 3w, both driven at 700 Ma, and both around the 450-465nm spectrum. These are so close i dont think there is a major benefit to using either chip. Both get the job done, bridgelux seems to work quite well on tanks 24" and under and have heard great things about them. I would recomend crees for deeper tanks because of the increased performance for depth, ie those xml's and xpgs have some serious punch to them.

Leaving type of leds out of the question the rest of the fixture relys on the drivers used and controlling option. what is powering and controlling the leds is extremely important, like any electrical device, if you use a cheaper power supply it is not as efficient, or built to last as long. like most electrical devices if cheap components are used to run and power the device and make it run(look at no name mp3 player knockoff units and compare to ipod. The difference in pric is huge, large part of name but quality of the two is shown in the ip[od, the no name mp3 has poor music quality, terrible battery life and usually dies within a few years, versus some ipods i know have lasted well over 6+ years). You simply cannot claim the drivers are as good because they look similiar.(knockoff ipods look like real ones too dont they?). Back to drivers, if quality parts and connectors and r+d go into the device you can expect a long lasting power supply that will match your expensive high powered LEDs.

6. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

You have no proof that these lights are nothing but good! all 3reefer reviews are positive about these lights. they are 1/4 the price, have similar par readings, and the looks are perfectly acceptable. All they lack is the "controllable" aspect. What is your grudge against these lights? i really don't understand why you are trying so hard to put them down.

IF you find something that proves these drivers are junk, or that the fixture will fail after x amount months, then go ahead and bash it. But when you have no proof that the drivers are not in fact meanwell drivers(not that anyone is saying they are, just that they look to be of same quality) i find it to be very unfair for you to be bashing them, y when so many of our own 3reefers say they get great growth and color from these, and especially since a distributor of them is going to be sponsoring this site. I find this thread to be propaganda! and totally bias.

RAGE /quit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.