Too good to be true..TaoTronics LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nc208082, Jun 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

However those conflakes don't seem to just be using the same corn. The same factory may be making those cornflakes.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

There are a few factories out there, taotronics has their own and makes their own line of stuff, not just lights. I will buy a tao tronics and dissasemble it just to see if I am correct. The fixture has a different format when it comes to plugs, switches, and dimmers. The drivers are likely the same, however the best drivers out there, the meanwells are all made in china. I opened one of the drivers in the fixture, and it was nearly identical to a meanwell, except it had a better heat sink, and used resistance dimming. I would be happy to deconstruct a radion if someone would be willing to send me one :)

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Please keep your conversations civil and above board. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

With all of the advancements in LED and differing views on how they should be utilized it is nice to see someone present information in a constructive and informative manner.

6. leichr0220

leichr0220 Astrea Snail

Took the LED leap...that being said I spent a grand on a 130 bulb fixture that I built with cree LED's. About a day after the fans were placed and testing I ran across this unit. Initially I felt stupid for wasting the money, but realized at the end of the day if something failed I would know what to fix and how to fix it. The tech in the hobby is so new...at this point I am happy with the time and money spent...and if I need more light cheap I know where to find it.

7. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

if the lack of controllable drivers is what's really setting this thing apart from the higher end units... couldn't we fairly easily simply swap them out?

I was planning on doing either a Cree or Luxeon build soon with the potential to be a full blown kicka&* setup down the road. Life however had other plans and threw a curve ball at me and stole my cookie jar money... Must say, i'm revisiting the idea of picking up one of these things. Did someone say they bought 2 but found they only needed one? was this on a 4' long tank out of curiosity?

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I believe Vinny has one over his 48" tank. We have group buy going for these fixtures. Get
    10% off. U can get one for $179 or add 90* optics for another $49. Comes with reds an greens too. You can get a Cree unit for $269 with 90* optics add another $100 and you get the 10 volt control thing.

http://reefbreeders.com/

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  10. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

hmmm... that is a very tempting option... is shipping included or no?

11. daninfamous

daninfamous Flamingo Tongue

I personally dont have one of these units yet but I plan on getting one very shortly, But my LFS (no storefront basement store with a website which im not going to plug) Runs these over his D/T and 5 out of 6? of his frag tanks, all of his corals are doing wonderful and always look amazing when I am there. Yes you cant dim them but no need. and they are unbeatable for the price IMO.

He was hesitant when he started using/selling them. So he has one that is a lot older than the rest and its still going strong the last time ive been to his place.
    He has sold some that died prematurely but he got them replaced from whoever his supplier is (unknown to me/dont ask).

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it. I will post as much info as I can once I have my own. Also I think these being so cheap in a hobby that we spend so much on. its worth the gamble. Altho from seeing my lfs guy I dont beleive its a gamble but I doubt most of you will take my word for it (no hard feelings).

Sorry for wall of text/bad grammar.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Free

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.