Tonga Branch Only Tank?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by npollard, Feb 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. npollard

npollard Plankton

We have just set up a new RSM 130D and we were thinking of using just Tonga branch coral for our aquascape... Does anyone know know if it will be ok to use it without any other kind of rock? Now someone has told us it will not allow for enough biological filtration, but others have said it is good for that...any advice?

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

bio wise i think it will be fine but it is going to be hard to find spots for coral.

If i was you i would us a epoxy to glue the rock when you stack it so that the rock will be secure and u can get crazy angles.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Do you have the branch, cause if not it will be hard to get. Tonga has had another export ban for some time now.

The rock itself is fine.

5. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

Tonga

It is dense rock,you wouldn't want all tonga branch.And yes,hard to mount to as it's not very wide.And your going to have to buy it from someone shutting down.Rock export from tonga was shut down quite awhile ago.

6. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

Not to brag, but it only took me about 5 minutes to find this
    BRS Tonga Branch Dry Aquarium Eco Rock - English

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

A LFS gets Tonga Branch.... they have only had rubble for a while. They get theirs from people breaking down their tank. BRS probably stocked up. Does not change the fact Tonga branch is under an export ban, and has been before. Another reason it costs so much.

That same store does all their displays in Tonga Branch. Actually pretty cool. they use the branch to make stilts and then pile everything on. They have plenty of space to put stuff, and nothing is on the sand. Looks real nice. At $8/lb, I'll pass on a whole tank of it.

8. Click Here!

9. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

10. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

Buying all live rock is a waste. Just buy a small piece of live rock, and put it in the tank with the Tonga to seed it. Its cheaper, and you don’t risk any bad hitchhikers.

11. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

I bought 60# of dry rock and bought a couple pieces of live rock to seed. It has been about 6 weeks and i am starting to get some pretty good coralline coverage in my tank. I do like to buy a piece of live rock from new sources from time to time just to get that diversity. Just make sure you remove any unwanted hitchhikers.