Tomini tang only eating nori a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Inertiatic, Oct 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I recently got a new Tomini tang and he is a shy guy. If I'm near the tank, he will generally stay near his rock cave and come out once I get further away.

Because of this, I've had no luck feeding him when I feed the other fish. He's shown interest in the pellets that hit the sand (Formula Two and New Life Spectrum), but he won't eat them in the water column.

He is devouring Ocean Nutrition's green nori though. I know it is recommended to feed them nori at least three times a week, but should I be worried about him only eating nori and whatever he can salvage off the rocks?

I know, weird question since usually it is the other way around when it comes to eating nori. Tomini tangs are herbivores, so I'm guessing this is perfectly fine?

2. Click Here!

3. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Sounds to me like its just settling in, I'd give it some time and let it get accustomed to the tank. As long as its eating your in good shape imo.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

5. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Wouldn't worry at this point, but would probably try frozen mysis.

6. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Haha, I almost didn't post this question because I felt silly. I know it is always recommended to balance their diet with greens, but I didn't know if I have to balance with meaty foods, lol.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I watched him eat mysis at the store, I just threw mine away during the move, need to head to the store. All of my fish love Formula 2 pellet form, I'm sure they would all lose their mind with the frozen version.

I'll just keep the tang on fed up with two clips a day to start and see what happens.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Sometimes the "silly" question can mean life or death for a prized pet. :)

FWIW, I feed my tank Ocean Nutrition flakes- Formula One and Prime Reef, and my fish love it. So much so in fact, that when I tried to feed them my frozen variety just to get rid of it, they all looked at me like, "WTH is this?" lol

Anyway, I have no Tangs; I do, however, have a Cleaner Wrasse that is still fat and healthy after 2 years. ON F2, as Vinny suggested, has more 'greens' for more herbivorous species, along with a variety of meaty fares. Frozen, flake, or pellet, I'd suggest giving it a try.

Good luck with your Tomini. :)