Tomatoe clown symptoms

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by fishzilla, Mar 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishzilla

fishzilla Astrea Snail

I recently purchased a tomatoe clown and put in my soon to be 55G reef. The tank has been up and running for 4 months, clown is the first fish. The only inverts I have is my CUC, featherdusters, curley cue anenomes and then I have some macro...no corals yet.

The fish has somewhat clamped fins, jerks every so often and I have noticed it scratching every so often. There are no signs of white spot...it has some abrasions on one of its sides though. It doesnt do this behavior all the time, it acts normal when you are around the tank but from observing from across the room it does this sometimes. Water parms are spot on, no ammonia or nitrite. Nirate is around 5ppm, salinity is 1.025. I have 2 bakpak 2 protein skimmers and 2 koralia 2 powerheads on the tank. With around 70lbs of live rock. Fish also eats very well, feed it frozen food soaked in garlic daily along with some OSI RTB pellets.

2. Click Here!

3. ynzheng

ynzheng Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

IMO it needs some time to adjust. I got a pair of occellaris ones, and the bigger one shows similar symptom in the first few days. But now it is very healthy and happy after like 1 week. Just keep an eye on it... But I still find keeping fish hit or miss...

4. fishzilla

fishzilla Astrea Snail

Ive had the fish about 10 days, the shop it came from is the only store around here that deals marine livestock. But their tanks looked horrible, covered in diatoms and cyano. It kind of looked at its reflection in the glass non stop for the first couple of days and now its doing this strange clamped fins jerking thing in the side of the glass looking at itself. If it were a FW fish Id probably be dosing it pretty hard on some anti-parasite meds right now but I dont want to kill my CUC and hitchhikers. Any ideas?

5. ynzheng

ynzheng Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

There supposed to be some reef safe medications, but I don't know if it is worth it IMO... If you can make sure your water param is good and STABLE, they will heal themselves... And next time you may consider ordering livestocks from online like liveaquaria.com...