Tom Rapids Pro RP3 filter...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by coupester, Mar 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

I've been looking at ATO and noticed this guy. I currently run a Rena XP1 with only chemipure and phosphate remover.

Do you think this thing is worth it? I have sooo much going on in my tank since I don't have a sump or room for a sump. So something like this will replace my Rena, Remora w/overflow box, and a surface skimmer attachement. I think this will make for a more cosmetically pleasing tank and I will have an ATO.

I would sell my Remora and Rena if you all think it's worth it to make up for the additional investment.

I wouldn't use any of the bio media of course since I have LR.

Tom Rapids Pro Series Rp3 Plus Canister Filter With Auto Fill System

Thanks all for thoughts. Cheers!:)

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

If I saw it at a store I would run away. You are better off just building a sump and doing a DIY ATO.

1 person likes this.
  4. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

Really??? That bad huh? LOL

was it just bad quality?

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The skimmer isn't very good, the entire system seems to be lacking quality. The overflow, which they finally updated, isn't exactly the best. It also limits your possibilities for upgrades in equipment. At a price of about $330, unless it has dropped to almost free, it is not worth it.

6. H&K

H&K Flamingo Tongue

7. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

i have had this exact model before and thought it worked great, was completely fail safe, and self priming. with that being said, i would just build my own as well. you get to make it exactley how you want it and customize it to your needs.

oh yeah the tiny reverse current skimmer did suck and i had to hang a remora on the back

8. Click Here!

9. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

thanks all! I will stay away.

Looks like I have a project to do...;D

10. itsmesiva

itsmesiva Plankton

changed my mind

Wow i as so exited looking at one of these combo as i have very limited space in the stand and it is divided into 3 compartments. I am not running a sump yet and mostly depending on heavily stocked LR and circulation pumps. I do have a HOB skimmer...i am not thrilled about it. I do have just couple of Zoa frags and about 5 fish in a 90G tank. So i am doing fine. Oh well looking at the response i go back to sqaure one...how i could take out a divider and add a sump. Just thought i will say Thank you for helping me NOT to make yet another expensive mistake

11. metgraham

metgraham Astrea Snail

you know i have one of theses and i like it, i know this is an old forum but just throwing my thoughts out there .

12. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

Its crazy that some of the other companies havent tried a filtration system like this. if someone would make an all in one canister with skimmer and uv that was good quality, they would sell a crap ton of them. I think this is a good idea, but poorly executed. CPR or Reef Octopus should have at it and design one of these.