Toadstool Relocating

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by billymccleese, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billymccleese

billymccleese Plankton

Hello,
    I recently bought a rock with two toadstools attached to it. One being bigger then the other. I am seeing now that the bigger ones cap is eclipsing the light and not allowing it to get enough light to have its little tentacles come out. So i was thinking about detaching the smaller one from the rock and fragging it somewhere else. I have only done a small amount of fragging. Can i just detach from the rock by pulling it or will that harm it. they seem like very durable, but i just wanted some experienced advice before i do anything.

-thanks guys

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Pulling the toadstool lightly would work quite well, and they are VERY hardy corals. Just be prepared to have it close up for a few days ;)
    JJL

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can just cut it at the base with shape scissors and either wedge the remaining piece in some LR until it attaches or use some fishing wire to secure it. I have done it both ways, manually removing from the rock and cutting. Cutting always worked better for me and you end up with two toad stools.

5. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

you can also leave it, the two corals will find a way to get the light they want.. i like watching corals grow around each other..