toadstool problems

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Va Reef, Apr 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i got a toadstool two days ago. due to its size, i couldnt acclimate it and unfortunately had to just put it in the tank. the salinity was the same but the temp was off by a couple of degrees. at first it seemed to be doing OK it was putting out little tentacles but no actual polyps. this morning when i turned the lights on it was bent over like an "L" but upside down. will it go back to straight and reach for the light or is it stuck like that? thanks

edit:heres some pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. french4orlife

french4orlife Spaghetti Worm

Mine did the same thing when I first got him. I pointed a powerhead towards him and he stood right back up, and then molted. After I moved the flow back and he was fine.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Normal for a new toad stool, try and increase the flow, give it a week or so to acclimate and it should turn around for you.

5. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Judging from the pics it looks like you have more than enough light so... Toadstools are one of those near indestructibles IMO. Similar to GSP or Xenia in my experience. If even a miniscule piece of its flesh remain on a rock in your tank when you pull it out it will frag off and start to grow like crazy. Give it time and it will perk right up. Screw with the flow if you want but I think it will begin to perk up given a few days.

At this point mine is so happy and grows so quickly that I regularly prompt visitors to my house to, "Touch it! Watch what happens!"

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i wish i had "more then enough light" LOL well i moved it and pointed a power head at it, so we will see. ill post more pics in a couple of days ;D