Toadstool opening but not standing up

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Greg9MM, May 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I bought a toadstool about a week ago. Its opening up but not standing, its laying kinda on its side.
    I have a 150 high reef with kessel 350w lights. The coral is on the sand bed right now. Should I move it up to mid way or just let it go and see what happens?

Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

How much flow do you have in that area? IMOPE, toadstools are relatively adaptable where light is concerned, but prefer fairly strong current- around 35 - 40x. Stress will make them close, but they tend to droop or slouch with inadequate flow.

1 person likes this.
  4. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

I had the same problem with a toadstool I've had for 5 years. It always seemed like the "stem" was too weak to support the head. I tried many different light/flow combinations, but nothing worked, so I finally decided to cut off the top, leaving about an inch of stem, and placed it in a hole in my rocks. Now I have two toadstools that stand up just fine :)

5. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Mr. Bill there isn't much flow at all. The area I put it in there are a few colonies of frogspawn the I just fragged. Maybe I will move it to another area with some more flow.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

^ :). Stronger flow and or lop it off, if increasing the flow does not do the trick.