Toadstool not opening

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ibefishy, Jun 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I have had a toadstool for over a year now and it recently retracted and has not extended its sweepers for over 3 weeks now. I have checked all my water params that I normally check and they are as follows:

Temp 80
    Salinity 32
    SG 1.024
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Amonia 0
    Ph 8.2
    Calcium 480
    Alkalinity 10 dKH
    Phosphate 0

I am currently checking my water params everyday, at least amonia and nitrates hoping to catch any spike before troulble starts.
    I have read that sometimes corals will do this but I have only heard about it last for a few days not weeks.
    Is there a reason for concern?
    Should I remove it?
    It looks as though the shape of it has changed over the last two weeks, there is also a smaller one close to it and it has done the same thing for the same amount of time.
    Please share thoughts or experiences with similar situations.
    I would post pics for you to see it currently, but my wife has gone on vacation with her mom see her brother and took the camera with her.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Is it sloughing off anything? slime? gunk? or is it just closed? Toadstools molt and it can sometimes take a few weeks before they're back to normal..and when they do get back to normal they're usually bigger and better

Ivan

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

has the top gone all flat? does it also look a bit mucusy? it could be "molting" shedding its skin to grow. seems like a long time for that tho. wish i could be more help

5. ibefishy

Thanks for the quick replies.
    It did shed a small amount of mucas type stuff but not alot. The top is not flat it is kind of wrinkling up around the edges, almost like a drawstring was drawing it together, I felt the base of it and it doesnt appear to be breaking down, it is not soft or slimey. This happened after a 3 day lights out covered tank with blanket treatment. Slowly brought the lights back to normal schedule and everything else is doing great, tank looks good, water and livestock except for toadstool.
    Anyone else with an idea or question?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  6. ibefishy

I hope that is the case here

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I have never had good luck with toadstools..i have had the exact same thing happen that you are experiencing twice..it was open weeks after i got it..then one day it closed up..and never came out..everything else in the tank was fine..i gave up on both of them after about a month and a half

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

My toadstool does this a few times a year. He closes up and molts, doesn't go flat like my Umbrella does but takes a few days to perk back. I have never seen him close up for 3 weeks - your water checks out so he's probably just in a mood or having a moment. These are incredibly hardy corals, probably nothing to worry about. Considering you can slice its top off and cut it up like a pizza and end up with 8 new corals.....I'd say that's a rather resiliant coral...no worries

10. ibefishy

Thanks I will give them a few more weeks and if they dont open up I will remove them from the rocks they are on. Thats too bad, they were really nice when they were open.

11. ibefishy

Is there any chance that the Palythoas that have grown up around it are affecting it?

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

paly's i believe can release a toxin. if thats the case, im not sure if it would affect the toadstool.