Toadstool Leather

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by parabol, Apr 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. parabol

parabol Plankton

Hi all - I have a 20 gallon reef tank with a 2-week old toadstool leather. For the first week he was fully openend and in full health. For the second week, he has remained in a hidden state similar to as he would be during transport. I do not see any blemishes on him, nor do I have any problems with my water readings. I had double checked by a 3rd party fish store just to make sure. I was hinted to that the toadstools will shed there skin and will appear like this for a while. What usually constitutes a while?

I also have several polyps, zoas, one anemone that has not been in contact with the toadstool, a branchy coral who's name escapes me, some small mushrooms frags, a eboli angle, a clown and a flowerpot.

I don't think any chemical war problems exists between the corals, but that's why I'm asking.

Any advice would be mutch appreciated.

Regards,

Parabol

2. Click Here!

3. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Could take up to a week.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  4. divott

divott Giant Squid

sometimes they will do a partial "molt' , which mine has done , and is a very short time. but if they do a full one , it can take at least a week. but when finished, boy it wil be bigger and more beautiful. good luck para

5. tube

tube Flamingo Tongue

I have had mine for 5 months now and she will open up [full] when the lights come on and shrivel up to almosty nothing when the lights go off

6. parabol

parabol Plankton

Yeah, its not a lights on, lights off issue. Its a all the time issue. I think its been about 4-5 days, so hopefully 2-3 more days max and we'll have a re-born toadstool.

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted.

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

it's probably getting used to it's surroundings(lights, water, temp) if after another week it doesn't open up, put it in a better flow area, not to get blasted, just a little more random where is it sitting, as compared to where your lights are? got a pic? maybe a pic of where it is in the tank too would help(tank shot).

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have a new Leather and can not help in this case (sorry) but I can tell you they are very strange animal's and are very hard to understand. Good Luck
    Danny

10. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

My colt is amazing when the lights are on. its about the size of a soccer ball.

11. Alex

Alex Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

yeap I have 3 toadstools, make sure they have good flow. this will help them open up alot more it seems. but they all do their partial and full molts quite often. i use to wonder if something was wrong but then a few days later I come into the room and they are opened up bigger and better than ever.

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

mines been closed now for 2 days, im really looking forward to its bigger and better look when its ready.