Toadstool Leather Question(s)

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Weir_Head, Jun 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

I've had this Toadstool in my tank for about 2 months now.
    I moved it around a few times, but for some reason I was under the impression that the base had to be in the sand. That rock would bother it's tissue or something.

So, now it's grown, and it's almost up against the glass. I'm looking to move it, but it's kind of attatched itself to one of my big base rocks.

I don't really want to mess with moving the rock...

1. Is the positioning going to mess with the coral's growth? When fully expanded, it's about an inch from the front glass.
    Any other harm with that?

2. Can I gently pull it off of the rock, or will that cause harm as well. Any way to easily get it off?

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

Looks pretty healthy to me
    [​IMG]

And here's where it's attached. The whole left side of it is stuck to that rock.
    [​IMG]

Thanks as always.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The base should be attached to hard substrate like rock.

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Yeah,you can carefully pull it loose from the rock and the toadstool will be fine.If you tear it or leave any of the stalk behind on the rock,it will eventually grow into another toady.I would also recommend that you run fresh carbon to soak up any toxins that leather corals can release when damaged or unhappy.
    To attach your toadstool to a piece of rock,simply rubber band it somewhat loosely and in a couple weeks it will reattach itself.

5. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Really, like I said, I thought it was one of those things that you didn't want to be on something hard.

Not sure why I thought that.

So by carefully pulling it, I mean I'm going to have to give it a pretty decent tug.
    It's on there pretty good. Hopefully if I do this not much is left on the rock...

I already run some Carbon, so I should be good there as well.

Thanks

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It will most likely be mad and stay closed for a day or two. I believe it needs more flow judging from the drooping stalk and the deposits on the stalk.

Yes they do naturally grow on rock in the wild they need a solid hold fast.

You can also just take some sharp scissors and cut the base. Then use a rubber band or fishing line to attach the large pieces to another rock and the base will regrow another head.

7. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

That's possible. There's isn't a ton of flow down there. I just thought that it was because the top part was bigger and heavier, so it was falling down that way.

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

They like some decent flow,it keeps detritus and algae from gathering on it's top and when attached they should be upright as thats the natural way they grow.

10. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the help. I also asked my LFS, and they basically said "Just gently pry it off, it'll be fine. They're tough"

So, I gently pried it off. It came off fairly easy, but I couldn't really see how much was coming and going, you know. Then I got to the point where I figured I should just continue.

I got it off, but there's a decent sized chunk missing now... I'm hoping I didn't do too much damage.
    I moved it to another spot where it can go upright, and attach to another rock with the damaged section.

It seems pretty annoyed with me... Should it be fine?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. grinder37

It'll be fine,just mad for a few days to mabey a week.And then you'll have 2.

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

It will be just fine. Give it a few days to perk up because it is probably very mad.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011