Toadstool leather not growing

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Seguragr, Feb 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

Ph: 8.3
    Temp: 79-80
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Phosphate: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    Sg 1.025

I still have some issues with brown algae, so I imagine that my 0 nitrate reading is a false 0.

Anyway, the real question: I have had a green polyp toadstool in my tank for about four to five months now. It seems healthy in that its polyps are extended and bright green. However, this coral has not grown at all since I got it. I understood these corals to be fairly fast growing, so I am shocked to see that after so much time my toadstool is still less than 1/2 inch diameter.

I got this coral from my LFS. It was part of a big toadstool that looked like it was dropping babies. I got one of the "babies."

I can't for the life of me figure out what would be causing the coral to be open and healthy looking, but to not grow at all.

I dose reef carbonate and complete to maintain calcium and KH and reef plus as a supplement, each twice a week at the levels recommended by my LFS. Everything else is happy.

My monti cap has exploded in size and I have had to frag it. My gsp has gotten probably 20 times bigger and I have fragged it. Even my Duncan has gone from 2 heads to 10 heads with more on the way. Everything seems to be thriving except this one coral.

Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

It could need more light , I have mine at midtank under maxspect razor led so it's getting quite a bit of light and is growing well.Flow is moderate but not low.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Is it near a coral that may be bothering it in some way?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The more light and flow you give it the faster it will grow.(Within reason of course.lol);)

6. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

I just moved it to a new location about a week ago where it is getting slightly more flow. I can't imagine it needs more light. My lights are bright enough that I can't even keep mushrooms because they bleach out and die. It hasn't been anywhere near any other corals that would bother it. The closest thing to it is GSP. If I don't notice a change I will try moving it up closer to the light.

Thanks for the suggestions.

7. mightymcc

mightymcc Astrea Snail

They do like somewhat "dirty" water. Maybe that would help...

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

my toadstool is MOODY, the more you move it around, the more it will stay closed up, I just had to move mine cause its sweepers were killing a few corals. But anytime I look at mine wrong or move it, it closes for a week. Id suggest just finding it a place you like in a position vinny suggested and let it be. The more ya mess with it, the longer it'll take to get comfy;)