Toadstool coral too close together

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by IndianRiverRob, Sep 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

I recently got these toadstool frags from the LFS. There are 2 toadstools on a 2"x3" rock. They have started to grow from the size they were in the store and look like soon they will be touching each other. Do I need to separate them or will they grow apart. I provided a pic of when I first got them.
    [​IMG]

Since then their stem has grown and become more full.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They should be fine. The only concern I would have is if one grew faster than the other and started blocking the light from the smaller one.

4. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

They are about the same size but are touching eachother in the middle. I would like eventually frag it and put it on another rock but thought I would let it grow some before I did. Will they grow together or in an odd shape if let be?

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I in the same boat with the two that I have they were both same when I got them and have grown side bye side for the last 8mth and now one is leaning over and started to make a new footing on the rock next to the one that they were both on.
    I dont know if this is a normal behaviour of these corals but it is what mine have done.
    New.
    [​IMG]
    Now you can see the one on the left has attached to the rock on the left.
    [​IMG]

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No, one will probably do just what wastemanagement's coral is doing (which is perfectly normal).

7. reef goddess

reef goddess 3reef Sponsor

Leather corals don't usually ever grow back together once they split. If they are the same type of leather then it doesn't matter whether they touch or not. If you wanted to frag them, you could just run a razor through the small area of their trunk that still connects them and then break the rock.

Best thing that keeps leathers healthy is good flow. If they are in good flow, they won't close up and slime over every few days.