toadstool changing colour

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by sexyj, Nov 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sexyj

sexyj Astrea Snail

iv had my toadstool 4 a year now it was really small and brown when i got her then she would hide 4 a week and opened back even bigger but lighter each time. shes done this about 3 times through out the year but last week she opened back complete white with yellow tips and lays on the sandbed not up right like she used to i havnt move her or done anything different, iv had high nitates and overdose the tank two months ago but quickly sorted that out my blubs need changing soon 2x t5, 2x t8 everything else is fine and blomming ? is this ment to happen
    Image0117[1].jpg 4months ago

Image0106[1].jpg when she closes up 4 couple of days

069.jpg last week

070.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Hmm...it doesnt sound like its bleaching...but idk..maybe somone else could chime it and answer thatn

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sexyj

3 things come to mind when I see that image

1) its low down in the tank and your lamps as you state are possibly due for changing
    so it may be losing colour for that reason

2) IME leather corals, like that Toadstool, appreciate moderate - high flow and a position higher up on your reef may help with this and with the colour loss problem

3) in the final image the water looks a bit cloudy? (maybe just picture problem) and as you have a number of soft corals in there you may be experiencing some chemical warfare - release of chemicals by soft corals to prevent neighbours over growing them or to clear the way for them to grow into

I suggest running carbon if your not already doing so
    as again, if the water is cloudy , that will also reduce the amount of light reaching the toady that low in the aquarium

not sure if any of the 3 above are correct
    but if it was my toadstool, those 3 areas would be my 1st considerations, if the results of my water parameter tests, indicated there where no water quality issues

Steve

5. sexyj

sexyj Astrea Snail

camera phone not clear its been next 2 the mushrooms for a year everything was fine but the biggier they get the lower he goes and doesnt open up as big i mite have to give him to my marine place dont want to but know where else to go in the tank

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Forgive me I am a little confused, did you already change out the bulbs and if so how long had it been since you did it last?

I think steve is right, it may need more flow now that is larger.

IMO probably multiple causes here, parameters, lighting and placement.

7. sexyj

sexyj Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Looking at the pics it appears real healthy. I would say the bulbs are the issue here. As they have lost their spectrum (especially the T8s) the pigment has changed in the Toadstool. I would leave it where it is and change the bulbs one set at a time, preferably the T8s first and then in a week or so change the T5s.

10. sexyj

sexyj Astrea Snail

thanks guys i moved my powerhead and its starting to stand up but my anoemone isnt happy with the flow now.i mite buy a small powerhead for that corner and am going 2 change the bulbs 1 by 1 thanks again am still new at this and freak out at everything :-[
    Image0186[1].jpg

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think unclejed is right on here.

12. sexyj

sexyj Astrea Snail

do u think i should change all 4 bulbs or just the t8s t5 is 4months old Image0187[1].jpg