Toad stool, flow or light keeping down?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Swisswiss, Jul 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Was one my first corals. No larger than a thumb back then. In my old setup, before the reset, it had a little more "stalk" but was also placed lower in my tank. Since then its been moved up a little to where my currents collide.

Thoughts and experiences?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

They love it.More light is good.Well within reason lol.
    It looks quite healthy.What fixture are you running?
    It can/will "move" or split if it needs to so I wouldn't worry.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Swisswiss and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

My thoughts, exactly. Beautiful specimen, Jeff. :)

Swisswiss likes this.
  5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

oufff, its been through a lot and held strong. it was under t5s as a "new born" in a 50g then moved to a 125 under radions and is currently running under a single light rail led/t5 after a reset.....

if the term "hardy" applies to corals, then this is one of the beasts in that category, if im not mistaken Mr. bill you have a colossal specimen no?

I recall trying to ID it on here way back but i cant seem to find the thread (such a noob back then....and still am....)

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes, I think it's beautiful as well. I really wish Sarcophyton got a long with Acropora. Mine old 120 had huge specimens.

I had a Fiji Yellow and a Tongan, both loved intense lighting and mod/heavier flow. The leathers, Sarcophyton and Sinularia have always done better for me with mod flow.

7. Vinnyboombatz

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

10. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Hey everyone, I need some help! I have a toadstool leather, it used to be beautiful, trumpet shaped and healthy. That was like 8 months ago, in my 38 gallon Nuvo. I had it in a mod flow, high light area. It's been moved, handled and moved some more. It actually has fallen off the rock it was attached to (the rock broke twice). Since we moved it to the new 92 gallon, it's all shriveled up. I have it all the way at the bottom of the tank low flow and moderate light. It's only there because it is no longer attached to the rock and has no base so I can't set it up closer to the light. It was my FAVORITE! Any wise words? I've attached two pictures, one of when it looked good, and now! The now picture is bad quality, but that little lump at the front is it.

Attached Files:

11. Vinnyboombatz

Take two pieces of rock and sandwich the base of the toadstool between them. Use a rubber band to keep the two rocks in place. Then place it where you want it and try not to touch it again.It will eventually attach itself and you can remove the rubber band and glue the rock where you want it.What kind\size light fixture is it?It appears very dark in the front of the tank.

12. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I may try that! I definitely need him to have some kind of base! Thanks!