To treat or not to treat

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by mikejrice, Jun 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

My rabbit fish yet again appears to have ich. Small white dots all over and he has developed a thin white film on his body. still eating and acting normal. Should I qt and treat this or just let it run its course. Happens occasionaly just not usually this bad. None of the other fish ever seem to get it other than a clown that always seems to fight it off too.

2. Click Here!

3. stemanc

stemanc Feather Duster

hi mike i would say Q an treat to be safe

steve

4. mikejrice

I been thinking that but Iv heard the treatment can some times be very hard on the fish. Harder than the desease in some cases. (Im also dreading trying to catch a very fast venomous fish from within 60 lbs of rock)

5. stemanc

stemanc Feather Duster

well good luck with which ever you choose to do

p.s thanks for info last nite mate
    steve

6. siidman

siidman Bristle Worm

My orange shoulder Tang had ich a few weeks ago. I was gonna quarantine him for treatment but I didnt want to add to his stress and make things worse. I have a 125 with 150lbs LR and it would have been tough. I got some stuff called Ich Attack, dont know if you have heard of it. Its 100%organic, so it says, and it worked very well. It turned my water a little orange for the duration of the treatment which was a week, but I threw some carbon in there when treatment was done and it was gone in 2 days. He appeared to be clear of ich after 2-3 days and my other fish didnt appear to be affected by it at all.
    Good luck

7. mikejrice

DT is ready but I cant catch those stubborn fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

I'd high recommend the QT with hypo treatment... would be the fastest and easiest way to heal him. He might be stressed to the new environment, but its been proven that hypo is actually easier on the animals that the regular salinity of the DT. (The reason though they don't keep them in hypo forever is the kidneys wil shutdown with less stuff to filter)

So if you throw a piece of PVC pipe in the QT for him to hide in, keep him well fed he'll heal up pretty quick hopefully :)

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I would not transfer the fish to a QT tank. Make sure your water parems are good in the DT (biggest reason for developing ich), feed him well with a good quality food soaked with vitamins and hufa and throw some algea or romaine lettuce on a clip for him to eat.

IMO moving a fish from your DT to a QT tank does a couple things: 1. majorily stresses out the fish...what causes ick a lot...stress, stress from water parems, being picked on, etc. 2. Will cause a disruption of rocks and sand causing you to cycle

Just leave him be and watch you water parems.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Use a product called Marine-Max, all natural and works.

12. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

I agree with schakmel. Also add some garlic to your food if not doing so already.