To train a filefish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Sataly, Mar 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

So Ive had my Lil matted filefish for a while and is probably one of the best residents in the tank. doesn't mess with anyone or anything, doesn't run in hiding when my wife or I come around and eats like a monster. Reef safe to boot and hasn't touched a single coral (to my knowledge) and quite a unique fish. alas I bought him not for this intent. He was put in there to wipe out my aiptasia problem. Is their a way that I can get him to maybe have an interest in them? It's been a Lil over a month now so I'm a bit worried he's a "dud". To be honest I love him as apart of my tank because it's one of those fish someone looks and goes "that's so crazy looking!! What is that?!". Plus the personality on him is awesome.

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

You can try feeding less, this will make him search for alternate food sources. It may be aiptasia, but it may also be coral. Rarely do they only eat aiptasia then convert over to prepared without touch coral. It's usually very black and white with these guys: either they eat prepared and don't touch anything else, or eat the aiptasia but also develop a taste for coral. (Think about the differences between an aiptasia polyp and a coral polyp, it's the same basic principle)

4. Sataly

That's what my thoughts were on the subject. I've tried not feeding for like 4 days and he just kinda waited around for my wife or I to feed the tank lol. Also my tank is pretty well established and I see him picking as some of the rocks for what I assume is podes or other goodies so I don't think he'll catch a taste for them sadly. :( guess the nudibranches are my next step.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Wait it out and try feeding less meaty foods. I was patient and slowly my filefish worked at night in one little area at a time. I'm still amazed he cleaned up the entire 125. Love that fat little guy.

6. Sataly

So you pretty much just cut back on the meaty food and fed algae based foods correct? I do have a bag or 2 ofun algae based flakes. A Lil at a time I guess.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I used to have a file fish and loved it. It ate just about anything I put in the tank. I think they have an almost prehistoric look to them. We visited my son in Columbus over the weekend and went to a restaurant that had a huge saltwater tank (fish only). they had the coolest looking filefish in there - it was black and white with the coolest markings. It definitely stood out among the other fish.

I hope yours finds your aiptasia soon!

DSC reef likes this.