To sump or not to sump?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jacwil, Oct 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

I say sump it but don't go to the basement. I personally don't think its worth it for that size DT. I built my plywood base stand that will paint nicely for $130 bucks and mine is a 4 ft tank so yours would be cheaper.

You wont be able to find a strong enough pump to push even close to what you want with 9' of head for under 150 i dont think - maybe 200.

2. Click Here!

3. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

I can actually get a pump that will handle that for under a $100..lots of options. I like the stand it's on and don't want to mess with it. I will be keeping the current 37g DT and next yr will most likely add a 90g+ to the whole thing. When I build the multi-tiered rack for the sump and refugium, I will build it bigger to accomodate a bigger sump dwn the road.

4. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    please take and post pics of the build!

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Yea definitely do a sump, Reeflo makes good pumps you could use to return the water that have high head ratings, are very quiet (not an issue in basement), reliable, and flow can be valved down as low as you need as long as the intake isn't blocked. If I had the opportunity to put my sump in the basement I'd do it for sure.

6. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

Well ...i think you should do it then. haha

Somethin tells me phil is involved in that pump

7. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

Lol...nah. Lot's of good deals with Phil but the pump was comin' from somewhere else...but it WASN'T a Reeflow. I should think about one of them instead.