To rinse or not to rinse

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Shackman23, Feb 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

This i know is kind of tossed around alot, i know i dont rinse my food, but should i? and if i dont could that be contributing to a nitrate issue down the road? My LFS has told me in the past not 2 because it takes away some of the nutritional value of the food, i feed all frozen, i have some cubed, and some flats, its usually sally's brine,PE mysis, and Sally's krill (Krill is just for nems but fish do love it and go after it instantly)

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I dont rinse my frozen food Shackman

but I do put it in a shot glass and allow it to thaw, and pour off the liquid before adding the food to the aquarium

not sure mine is best method
    but I rely on my test kits to tell me if I have a nitrate or phosphate issue
    and would re evaluate my methods if those indicated a problem was developing

Steve

4. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

yea see i just break a small enough piece to feed my fish, and use my tong and just let it thaw in my tank? and the fish will pick off pieces or just run after the ones coming off and eat those, is this bad?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If I started to notice an increase in phosphates I would probably start rinsing my frozen food. Seems to be a school of thought in the hobby that one of the major contributors of phosphates to a tank is through not rinsing frozen foods. Perhaps because I only feed small amounts every 3 days I do not see an increase in phosphates. Plus my corals like the icky juice ewwwww.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

My honest opinion is that your water quality will be the best judge of your method
    if you have zero or extremely low nitrates and phosphates and no algae issues, your not doing anything wrong

if on the other hand you do have issues with GHA or Cyno etc
    then you may want to start removing that excess liquid before feeding the fish / corals etc

Steve