to much flow!?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by fishluver, Dec 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

ok so i just added a hydor 3 to my tank ten min a go so i have a 14" diamiter toadstoll and it got all crazy and started to get all molded weird. its in a corner aimed toward the glass so it dosent blow it away. so do you think it is too much flow and idk how im gonna add a 4 to my tank in a week with it not liking it. so should it go to the lfs because i want sps so there is going to be alot of flow? and will it die cause it is in so much flow:confused: Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I doubt it's too much flow, it may take a few days to get used to the new flow. You can always try fragging the leather to make it smaller. The 4 and 3 should provide some nice flow in that tank.

5. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

i dont wanna frag it its like huge but it seemed upset but ill have to do some reposishining of the powerhead cause i got like a mountain of sand in my tank

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Post a pic of the Toadstool with the new flow on it.

7. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

i left it all week end with the powerhead on and ill try to post a pic tommorow and didnt open up and the ends turned black but i want to keep a good sps tank so iwas going to add a 4 wich i think would kill it with too much flow.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Most leathers like pretty high flow, so It should adjust just fine. It may act like it doesn't like it at first and go through a molt, but it should bounce back and do very well after that.

10. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

so the black shriveled up thing that its doing will go away when it gets use to it

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I couldn't say for sure without knowing your toadstool like I know mine, but I can say they do some weird things including acting like they're dying only to come back bigger and better looking after. When I upped my flow I didn't really care about the survival of mine, so I watched it die (I thought). In a few weeks it was back bigger and more extended than I ever saw it before.

12. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon