to much flow?????????????????????

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Newreef15, Dec 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

to much flow?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

2 x Wave Maker Powerhead pump GPH is that to much flow for my 50 gallon reef tank? i am thinking about puting one in the upper right hand corner of the tank pointed towards the lower left hand corner. Then i was going to put the other one in the upper left hand corner facing the lower right hand corner what do you guys think.:confused:

Or should i get 2 x 1600 gph powerheads

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That won't even be close to too much. That should right in the perfect range for softies, LPS or FOWLR.

4. wigginsreef

wigginsreef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

IMO These will not create too much flow, but placement will depend on your rock work. Ideally you don't want any dead spots. I like to have some areas of high flow, and other calmer areas depending on where I'm placing coral, since the various species like different amounts. I've got three in my 55G one 1200 one 800and one 300. The 1200 was difficult to place. At first it blew everything aroundlike a tornado, but after three or four moves I finally found the sweet spot and it was worth the effort. Right now I have the 1200 blasting the back of my rock pile from the back glass, and the two smaller ones creating a generally oval flow around the rocks. The 1200 breaks it up and creates a nice constant boil at the surface as well as moving water through the nooks and crannies, which my fish seem to like.

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I dont think that is enough if you plan on keeping SPS corals.