To lean rock on glass or not

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by devlzluv, Dec 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Rock on glass

1. Put rock on glass

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Leave rock as it is

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

I have about 85lbs of rock in my 65g tall aquarium. Scared to stack anymore and heard its ok to lean rock on the glass but do it very carefully so no crack. Im curious of the opinions of others in reference to this.

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I always have my rocks touching glass. Below the sand bed for sure. With narrow tanks, there really is no way to aquascape other than stacking rock along the back wall. Thats how my tank is.

4. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

If I lean LR on glass it would be on the back (I know there are a lot of differing opinions). If you lean on the side it becomes very hard to clean so I would leave enough space to allow for it. IMO if you are very careful about how you do it and check for stability you should be fine. I usually slope my LR from the back to front and yes it is leaning against the glass :)

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I had to lean it against the back glass on my 55. Its just to narrow not too. Just be careful when you do it and its fine.

6. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

I prefer to not have rock touching the glass unless it's under the sand bed. This allows for easy cleaning of all viewing surfaces of the glass and allows the fish more area to swim and/or dig in the sand. I have sometimes allowed one or two rock "shelf" edges to touch the back glass as I generally don't clean that anyway. The fish still have swimming area under the shelf. I just prefer not to have rock completely leaning on the back glass.

7. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

werd guys thx ima stack on the back then since i want it to be higher up since my tank is so dang tall. plus i have about 30 more lbs of rock i can add, my rock is pretty secure, after i secure it i shack the heck out of it to make sure it wont move.

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i have the same tank and i perfer to lean my bigg rocks on the glass at a angle so they do not fall forward i feel safer that way (goby and urchin safe)

10. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

lol i wish my inhabitants would actually do there job, my goby lounges around and just eats never cleans the sand, my stupid cleaner shrimp just rides the current all the time and picks on my puffer ( im not joking about that) and never cleans any fish.

11. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

lol well leaned rock on glass and its alot more stable, during the new aquascaping though i destroyed my fuzzy carpet mushroom (ripped him in 2, maybe it will live idk). heres a before and after shot

Before
    [​IMG]

Here i am thinking on new and exciting caves!
    [​IMG]

Finished (left the left side kinda low for those corals that dont want alot of light or such maybe a nice clam can go there who knows cuz idk when ima get the 75g up and running since I have a new baby boy but heres the pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

I have a 56, which is your 65 minus 6 inches left to right and I have my rock stacked to about 8 inches from the surface without touching the glass, there's just lots of base at the bottom that's all.

Put your mushroom where it can get a bit better light than you'd give a mushroom normally and at least one half of it will likely grow back (the part with mouth) if both halves have some mouth it will likely be 2 mushrooms in a few months.