To drill or not to drill

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by RPM1, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

I acquired a 150 gallon glass tank from a friend of mine. I would like to drill the bottom for a Herbie and my returns. I know that some manufactures make their tanks with tempered bottoms. I tried the polarized sunglass thing and I can't really tell much difference between the bottom and the sides. I suppose the whole tank could be tempered or I could be doing something wrong. The glass all looks smooth and I do not see any waviness to the glass like I have been told I would see with tempered glass.

I don't know who made the tank but the stand that came with it is a Perfectaflo. The glass is about 7/16" and it has a faux wood plastic rim around the top and bottom. I do not want to run the standard over the side overflows.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Projectx

Projectx Plankton

Get in touch with Elite Reef, they are off of 82nd (i think) and wads, they drill the side of the tank for the beananimal over flow, dead silent, and no risk of overflow

4. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

I talked to a guy up there the other day and he told me about the polarized sunglass thing. I thought about the bean but I would prefer an internal to get the tank tight up against the wall. I will go talk to Heather on Wednesday and see what she says. While I have it in the truck I may take it by a glass place and see if they can tell me if the bottom is tempered.

5. Projectx

Projectx Plankton

Figured you might have known about it, but doesnt hurt to mention it

6. Nannook

Nannook Astrea Snail

Look at the back or side windows of your car/truck, they ARE made of safety glass and you will see how it looks there. After using HOB overflows, I would go for the drill, either way it is a win. If it cracks, you did not want a HOB, if it doesn't you are golden. Watch the videos. Get a cracked 10 gal and practice a couple.

7. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

I ordered a bit and before it gets here I'm going to haul the tank up to the glass shop. They said that they have a filter or meter or something that will tell me if it's tempered. If the bottom is tempered I'm going with a bean animal. If it's not I will plumb the Herbie. If it's all tempered I'm not going to be too happy.

I have already built the stand for the thing and I was planning on using a 40 gal breeder for a fuge. I used 4X4 posts for support because I thought it was a good idea at the time. I failed to measure and it's 7/8" too narrow now. I am going to have to build one that will fit out plexy now.

No water in it and it's already beginning to wear me out.

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

def drill..way less stress of things overflowing..

10. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

I got sick of looking at this diamond bit and wondering if the bottom of this tank was tempered or not so I bit the bullet today and just went to town.

Tadaa..............I now have holes....

Attached Files:

11. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

nice holes! haha

12. BigReefin

BigReefin Astrea Snail

you got ba**s bro!!...looks pro

1 person likes this.