To cover or not to cover...

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by yoshikuni, Mar 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

Hey all,

I've been pondering about something while trying to plan out a tank to setup in my bedroom. I was planning on having a T5 fixture to light my proposed tank in my bedroom. The light also comes with these legs that prop it up against the sides of the tank. Now I was wondering, do you guys have some sort of glass or acrylic cover to cover the opening of your tanks or do you just leave it open?

Obviously I'm asking the ones with tanks that do not have a canopy. Also, if you just leave it open, did you experience having any fish or inverts escape your tank and end up dying on your floor?

And, if you do have a glass or acrylic cover, does it affect the amount of light the tank gets since the cover is bound to have water condensation on the side close to the water?

Now, the second thing I was wondering is that since I don't always goto sleep when the lights on my tank goes off, so if I'm still up studying or something with the room light on (not that bright really, regular 2 bulb ceiling light) or maybe the desk-lamp, would the ambient light from my room affect the health of my tank or corals when the lights are supposed to be off to simulate nighttime?
    and should I make some sort of "cover" that wraps around the tank to block any light from comming in?

Thats all I have for now, any advice is greatly appreciated! ;D

Yoshi

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I've thought about going topless because I like the way the light and shadows make the reef look. The reason I dont want to really do it is because I dont want my top to be exposed. i.e. fish will jump out; debri will fall in the water, etc, etc.

If you put a cover on it, you can best believe you will have to clean it often, as the condensation will definetly fog it and will also filter out some light to the corals, so you will not have that intense of a light. Also, if you use acrylic, the acrylic will be warped with time.

The light from the room will definetly disturb the nighttime activity, because it does illuminate the tank. You should consider getting a small book light, it's small and not bright.

4. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

So if I want to go topless but still dont want fish to jump out or crap falling in my tank, building or buying a canopy would be my best bet?

I was thinking about taping 3 pieces of black cardboard to my tank at night if I'm staying up, 1 for each exposed side to block out the ambient light from my room. Any good?

5. Adnuces

Adnuces Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have an open top on my 75g and I cut egg crate (the covers that you buy for florescent lights) this keeps the fish etc in and lets heat escape and light in. The only down side is that there is a higher amount of evaporation but if you keep up on the top off it works great. I have never heard of ambient lighting affecting the health of your tank. I hope not as mine is in my living room and gets light for about 16 hours a day. Only 10 of that from the lights.

6. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

I agree with Adnuces My tank is in the living room an my lights go out at 9:30 and I usually stay up until atleast midnight. They can care less. When lights are out they usually go to their hiding spot to go to sleep or do whatever they do at night. The rocks they hide behind filter the ambient light. The egg crate idea is good to keep the fish in the tank. I have a canopy and two Clown fish manage to commit suicide prior to my new canopy. The old one was open in the back.

7. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

chetrod:

Clown fishes is jumper? I am about to get 2 black and 2 percula clowns from a guy and my tank are topless right now...should I put a cover on it???

thanks!
    GkW

sorry about the hijacking. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Ok I've never put glass tops on my tanks (75G and 45G) I have had numerous Wrasse and clowns. The only fish to take a jump was a Blenny.

It is too important for gas exchange to put a lid on a tank. Almost all the O2 in the water comes from surface tension. Placing a glass top on the tank will surly cause issues with the tank. At night when photosynthesis is not taking place because of lights off the O2 in the water could drop to fish killing levels. Also by placing a lid on the tank you can trap CO2 in the water. This would cause a build up and your PH could also drop causing serious problems with your CA and ALK not to mention fish and coral deaths.
    Also in the warmer months you will get temp issues with a top on the tank

If you are worried about fish jumping the egg crate idea is the best IMO.

J

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have 2 reef tanks and they are both topless. It is easier to have it that way so that i'm not constantly cleaning the glass top of salt creep etc. Yeah, you do have more water evaporation but it allows me to dose with Kalk easier and more consistently. I have a snowflake morray eel and clown perculas as well as a six-line wrasse which are notorious for jumping out. I have had no problems with them jumping out(knock on wood)!!!!Also if you put a say, all-glass top to cover the top of your tank, it lessens the light intensity to your corals etc. in your tank.

11. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

I have a cover on mine. Since it's a 10, evaporation is a significant enough percentage of my water to increase salinity. Yes, you have to constantly clean it. No, it does not reduce oxygen; there are openings for my pumps and I leave a crack in the front. Convection circulates the room air (the air under the top is warmer than the air outside, so it rises out of the front and is replenished with cool air through the back.

No, I have strong moonlight on my tank. Everything goes into nightime routine (fish, corals, inverts) once the compact fluorescents are out, in spite of the strong moolight. Taping stuff around the tank seems like achore and I think it is pointless.

12. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

Wow, thanks everyone for the insight! ;D