To Biocube or not to Biocubem that is the question!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by mbrady, Mar 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mbrady

mbrady Astrea Snail

Hey all I am looking to set up a somewhat self maintained nanoreef in my apartment and want to know whether to go with the biocube or just my own 10 or 15 gallon setup and I have a few questions.

How good does that biocube filtration work? I would do doubt put cheato and chemipure in the middle filter but with no skimmer is it really effective?

If I set up my own tank I would go with an old deltec skimmer and a aquaclear used as a fuge.

I guess bottom line, is the filtration system is the biocube good enough or would a nice skimmer and fuge hang on the back be much better.

2. Click Here!

3. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I've never had a biocube, but I was considering it. I was glad I decided to go with my own custom set up. First of all, I like that I am not as easily limited by what I can do with it.

But, overall, I am a tinkerer so I like the ability to change stuff up easily :)

4. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

Just do regular water changes and keep a light bioload,good amount of live rock and you will be just fine. Very simple system

5. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I love my biocube. Very mod-able.

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I love my HQI version. And you can run a skimmer with a biocube.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I have a BC29 and have added a lot to it.. It was great when it was stock and now even better after I upgraded the lighting, filtration and flow.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

You can get some cool stuff from inTank for filter media and such. You can also turn one of the back chambers into a fuge and you can get a skimmer in chamber 1 in the BC 29's. I have 2 BC14's myself.

10. jtnova13

jtnova13 Bristle Worm

I loved my biocube. You can mod the back, mod the lights.

I think biocubes look better than a regular 10gal sitting there with a light over it, but that's just my 2 cents. EVeryone likes something different.